What's new
What's new

Fellows 64 A Shaper Cutter Stuck in Spindle

boggle

Plastic
I seem to have a shank type cutter stuck in the spindle of my 64 A. Usually comes out with a light tap from the top but this one's stubborn. Any tips or tricks for knocking it out? I can fully remove the through bolt and it's not that chewed up, tried give it a tap at both TDC and BDC to no avail.

Sounds like it is a shank cutter. How small is the draw bolt thread? if it is big- like 1/2-13, drop a piece of all thread down the spindle, screw it in the cutter and give it a good whack with a small sledge. If its a shank cutter, you have room to block the cutter spindle against the work or work table. AND don't forget to put something under the cutter!

If its a small draw bar thread like 1/4", pull the draw bolt and drop a bigger solid rod down the cutter spindle and whack it or just drop it on the cutter and it might pop loose. Freezing it might work but that's a lot of mass to cool down. Good luck!

Thanks all. I removed the draw rod out of the machine and noticed the last few threads were pretty chewed up, looks like somebody backed it all the way out before giving it a whack. Threads were rolled far enough back that the top collar would bottom out on the shoulder before the thread could push out the cutter. I got a new 1/2-13 threaded rod and will give it a try this morning.

Back