What's new
What's new

36" Diameter x 18" Long Aluminum?

athack

Stainless
Hello,

I need a source for big aluminum. Any ideas? Something that is cast that big? Wheel manufacturer?

I can get a piece cut from large plate but it cost a lot. There has to be a common product made that has a casting or something that big.

Thanks for any input.

Hello,

I need a source for big aluminum. Any ideas? Something that is cast that big? Wheel manufacturer?

I can get a piece cut from large plate but it cost a lot. There has to be a common product made that has a casting or something that big.

Thanks for any input.

how thick??, over 2" thick it needs xray for voids or internal metal defects

Do you really need a solid that big? IE are you cutting away a fair bit of it? if so your probably well into forging size range - cost savings over a complete solid.

I'll be the devils advocate here...without knowing what this might be used for I sure would look at some other approach. A solid slug 36" X 18" makes poor engineering and design sense to me.

When I'm brainstorming a project and can't find a suitable piece to the puzzle, it's usually because that piece doesn't exist..someone has developed a better way to solve the problem.

That's my two cents on the deal!;)

Stuart

Maybe give us an idea of what the final shape's going to be, and what alloy and properties it needs. Going from plate to casting to forging is pretty broad, is there no real strength requirement? Will it become mostly chips, or mostly solid?

Just to be clear, im not suggesting forging for strength, just a far more common source of large near net shape blanks.

Once I go back to work after summer school, I can ask there.

They just did a job out of a 21" dia, 20" long chuck of 6061

With the large diameter and short length, a vertical boring mill (AKA Bullard)
would be used.

Smallest one I have run was a 42" dia.

Hmmff, just a toy. I ran one so large we had to use left and right hand tooling, and do half the job clockwise, and half counter-clockwise. Otherwise we got crap from the Royal Observatory at Greenwich for altering the Earth's spin rate to much...

Hmmff, just a toy. I ran one so large we had to use left and right hand tooling, and do half the job clockwise, and half counter-clockwise. Otherwise we got crap from the Royal Observatory at Greenwich for altering the Earth's spin rate to much...

My favorite was a 54" dynatrol.
A 42" king was like driving a truck.

the 72" dynatrols required too much ladder work.

Back