What's new
What's new

3rd World making a wheel hub !

The trucks are all Hinos...1990s seems to be the favourite.......no Chinese or Russian.......these trucks with the bodged up parts go as far as Turkey.....I see one price quoted was $250US for a Paki made axle gear set .....about 1/4 of the Jap price............incidentally ,I note the scrap is razor wire ....no doubt ex A stan.

Looks to me like these are playing at double the speed they were recorded at. Try playing back at 50%, looks normal

Also, that scrap looks like scrap from a stamping press, not really razor wire.

Doesnt matter ...truck wheel bearings run loose ,and soon wear in.......of course if the wheel bearings are made in Paki....runout is already built in.

tapered rolling bearings are already slightly barrel shaped to avoid stress concentration at the ends, and so some misalignment is ok. not good but .001" concentricity per inch of distance between two sets of tapered roller bearings is probably ok for wheel bearings. this kind of tolerance can be "eyeballed" when dealing with 5" diameter bearings 7 or so inches apart.

a certain very well educated man build a mirror grinding machine in his dying years and initially cut the cup into some mild steel. then changed plans later and bored out the cup he made to accept the cup of (possibly different set of bearings).

then after turning the bore welded the rest of the machine together.. which distorted the bore he cut enough such that about 500 pounds axial load plus his preload, on a 100+ mm inner diameter tapered roller bearing cone did not even appreciably spread the load beyond.. 3 out of the 21+ rollers.

and so his custom mirror grinding machine had a sort of "kinematic mount" where only 3 rollers. (2 on one side and 1 on the other) took all the load. out of the 21 or so that should have been evenly loaded..

and it still ground a 27" mirror to better than 1/4th wavelength.

I too at first thought it was razor wire. But then I looked closer. Definitely scrap from stamping.

BUT, are my eyes deceiving me or were those guys that were doing the pour wearing beach tongs? OSHA would have a heart attack on the spot.

Mikes and calipers are definitely for wimps in that shop.

And I would definitely drop a few points off their score for just dropping the castings after machining them. Tisk, tisk!

Actually the more slop in a mirror grinding machine, the better. To a degree, anyway, it helps to average out the figure. The precision is in the process, not the machine. Many smaller mirrors have been made entirely by hand.

Of course, the figure is checked and tested many times during the procedure.

tapered rolling bearings are already slightly barrel shaped to avoid stress concentration at the ends, and so some misalignment is ok. not good but .001" concentricity per inch of distance between two sets of tapered roller bearings is probably ok for wheel bearings. this kind of tolerance can be "eyeballed" when dealing with 5" diameter bearings 7 or so inches apart.

a certain very well educated man build a mirror grinding machine in his dying years and initially cut the cup into some mild steel. then changed plans later and bored out the cup he made to accept the cup of (possibly different set of bearings).

then after turning the bore welded the rest of the machine together.. which distorted the bore he cut enough such that about 500 pounds axial load plus his preload, on a 100+ mm inner diameter tapered roller bearing cone did not even appreciably spread the load beyond.. 3 out of the 21+ rollers.

and so his custom mirror grinding machine had a sort of "kinematic mount" where only 3 rollers. (2 on one side and 1 on the other) took all the load. out of the 21 or so that should have been evenly loaded..

and it still ground a 27" mirror to better than 1/4th wavelength.

With a big load on a truck ,the axle bends like a banana,often you cant see through the axle from end to end ,the deflection is so great...So nothing is in straight lines at rest ,then you have road forces ,like hitting a pothole.

Things I really liked in the video:

The dude on the cell phone drilling it with a 3 foot cheater bar on the drill press

The packing of the boxes, either an experienced wine maker or practicing for it

The machinist finishes it up "perfectly" then rolls it off the lathe into the pile

The uber strong wheelbarrow tire

Oh, and was that center punch an old railroad spike?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The kind of ingenuity we could use more of in the US

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that those hubs won't make the same lifespan of one that we install here.

Unless YOU want to maybe start importing them, and undercutting everyone else ?

My co worker was there with the Army, he was a diesel/heavy equip Mechanic first though. He said they kept those "jingle trucks" going with less than 1/4 of what he had in his toolbox lol.

This is like watching a machinist version of a slasher horror movie. There are so many safety and good practice violations it is painful to watch.

This is like watching a machinist version of a slasher horror movie. There are so many safety and good practice violations it is painful to watch.

It always amazes me what resourceful people can accomplish. No doubt there are frequent injuries, some probably severe. Few, if any, of us would even attempt to do what these folks do every day. I suspect we'd just throw up our hands and say 'can't be done'.

It always amazes me what resourceful people can accomplish. No doubt there are frequent injuries, some probably severe. Few, if any, of us would even attempt to do what these folks do every day. I suspect we'd just throw up our hands and say 'can't be done'.

we would not attempt it because it is stupid to work like that. Lack of resources does not prevent you from sweeping up chips. If you can afford electricity you can certainly afford some cheap safety glasses.

Check out some of the other videos from the same poster on You Tube . The one on radiator work is shall we say interesting, also one making axle spindles . The spindle one has some hammer forging with chunks of mystery metal !! That one has some of the same style gauging for bearing fits.

I agree, there is no excuse for having such a disgusting place to work. All the trip hazards and debris laying around. Clean up is freeish, requires little skill and can be done by 12yos.:D

All of these comments about quality and safety and working conditions miss the real point. They are all comments made through the lens of the complacent Westerner; the person who has been raised to place commentary above substance.

What is the real point? Take a look at the faces, and bodies, of those men. I see a group of people doing some incredible things. Working together. Producing. Not bitching. No one looks unhappy, even. No one is afraid to lift something, or bend down to work. When was the last time in the USA (or Germany or England) you saw that happen? I don't see meetings, pressure from above, ISO certification, labor disputes, vending machines, politics, or even a scrap of paperwork.

Their product might not be the greatest, but I don't see an ounce of fat in the whole operation.

we would not attempt it because it is stupid to work like that. Lack of resources does not prevent you from sweeping up chips. If you can afford electricity you can certainly afford some cheap safety glasses.

Pretty hard to sweep 'em up from a dirt floor which is what a lot of these guys have to work with.

Back