What's new
What's new

4 1/2 inch chop saw

kenton

Stainless
Does anyone know where to purchase a metal cutting chop saw that uses 4 1/2in angle grinder cutoff wheels. I have a bunch of small parts that something like this would be fantastic for. I know HF and some others have cheapies that uses 6 inch blades but I'd like to have the interchangeability with my angle grinders

if the bore on the cutting wheels is the same, I'm not sure why you couldn't just use the smaller wheel on the bigger saw. slower speed might suck a bit, but you could rig up a sub table to raise things up so the smaller wheel would cut all the way through.

I personally prefer a bandsaw to cutoff wheel, but I suppose there are some applications where it might be handy, particularly on hardened pins or some such.

HF where else !

They used to sell an attachment (check DaBay) to mount your grinder
in, to make it into just such a saw.

Now they show a leetle 6" saw.

the 6in chop saws have a 5/8 arbor, 4 1/2 grinding wheels are a 7/8 arbor so that's a no go. I'll have to check out the grinder chop saw contraptions.

It surprises me that no one has something like this on the market, it seems like it would be popular.

the 6in chop saws have a 5/8 arbor, 4 1/2 grinding wheels are a 7/8 arbor so that's a no go. I'll have to check out the grinder chop saw contraptions.

It surprises me that no one has something like this on the market, it seems like it would be popular.

You don't have a LSO ?
(That's a Lathe Shaped Object)

Should be a simple bushing & washer job to adapt.

I could make a bushing but I'm just surprised that what I want doesn't already exist, I guess I'll either have to make a bushing and deal with a HF POS, make my own grinder chop saw abomination, or go back to eyeballing them with my angle grinder.
Oh well.

Anyone looking for a new product idea?

I believe on my angle grinders, the "nut" has a boss on one side of 7/8" hole discs. Just flip the nut around depending on the ID of the disc.

Kidding me? I can pop out of the MTR, Wanchai, walk half a block, pick from among several, ready-made, only a few of them even Chinese.

But still.. just look in the packaging of many of the goods in blister paks.

There is often a thingie off in one corner as resembles an old skewl sparkplug washer.
A "bushing" however short it is, axial dimension, as "short" they need to be for the clamp-nut to be able to get a grip.

Those center blades and wheels with 7/8" holes - or "whatever", depending on size - onto 5/8" shafts. Or "whatever" depending on size.

Even if you have not previously had the need, if your Hell box is like mine, there are several already tossed into a corner of it and you may have simply forgotten what they were. They grow legs and are prone to have migrated into your automotive repair kit, or even plumbing or electrical. No need to make them. Just go in search, then pick the one that already fits.

As to the mini-chop saw? Have a look at the ones Milwaukee and DeWalt make for linear sawing of thin metal plate.

These resemble a scaled-down sawdust-making carpenter or framer's "Skilsaw". Some can handle dual blades.

RPM and tooling are already optimized for metal-cutting and in the small form-factor you seek.

All you need to DIY is a platen with fence, and a swing-arm. That should be easy, even if you have to cannibalize a brand-new and larger HF chopsaw, cheap as they are, or fab it out of oak and black iron, salvaged bearing, caster wheel, or PVC pipe for the pivot.

Those "cartridge" front wheel-spindles with bearings as accumulate when I update the motorcar are another source. Bearings may have gone noisy for a carrying their share of a 4 K lbs auto at highway speeds, but are still good for fifty years for a small saw, partial rotation only. They have lug ears on one end already, and wheel studs the other end as can be put to use to hold an arm.

2CW.. and too MANY saws, hand and power, to keep good account of, already!!!

Looks that way, from my brief exploration with Google. They still sell the vises, though, and I wonder if those are still any good.

For all the bustid Wilton "Bullet" vises my JRHS / HS shop had to repair each year, end of the 1950's, dawn of the 1960's?

In my view, they were-never. Not really even "student-resistant".

Main claim to fame seems to have been that design kept the contractors, farmers, water and power company krew bumper-mounted vises from rusting their Acme's solid whilst left out in the weather, 24 X 7 X 365.

I have a heavier Taiwanese semi-steel bench vise from about 1972-74 as has more grip and has proven to have far the greater durability, even with copious use of its handy anvil-platen. Ditto the durabilty of a ridden-hard and put-away now and then acid-insulted (old skewl plumbing) Littleforge.

Wouldn't have a "bullet" vise as a gift.

I helped build one that uses 5"/125mm x 1mm thick Pferd cutting discs: it has a 1.5Hp DC motor driving a custom built spindle and has variable speed drive. It gets used for brass bar stock and is brilliant, the only issues have been caused by an electrician using it without permission and putting his body weight on the spindle to try and speed it up which blew up the controller.

If you have a lot of small bar stock to cut it's well worth the effort to build one, if you get the RPM right ~10K, the blades last forever.

If anyone's giving away one of the 2" jaw baby bullets I'll take it. Alas they sell for around 4 bills now.

"4 bills" isn't too bad a price for a misconception. South Bends still get a multiple of that, BirdPorts as well..

Pales to insignificance alongside the cumulative spend of folks who pay Microsoft to take a gullibility test, score very high on that characteristic, then keep on paying to take the same damned test over and over again, buying MS Windows one grotty half-baked revision after another for long years, when they already PROVED they were Gullible, first go.

I guess they get hash-marks for their sleeves? Or is it Oak leaf Clusters on a bit of ribbon? Calluses on their arsehole must be like secret handshakes. Can't fathom putting those on public display as it they were Purple Hearts, nor "POW" license plates,

:D

I made the best one that exists anywhere in the world uses a non-reinforced 7“ x 1/32 abrasive wheel it is powered by A Makita variable speed angle grinder with a true feedback speed control this is absolutely necessary The non-reinforced we’ll explodes at exactly 8500 rpm I run mine at 7000 RPM the abrasive wheel cuts through the vice both pieces are supported after The cut it will cut anything from 1/32 diameter to inch and a quarter diameter i
d461a16b9f157dbf7a906329e3c545ef.jpg
8977b289af868ff16da29132a3b91e94.jpg
c38a23e2046bb974e7d14bf371b4a840.jpg
can cut half inch diameter hardened pins and hold plus or -.003 on the length

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back