What's new
What's new

Looking for a manual for a Scharmann HorBor

syxxphive

Plastic
Hello there! New guy here, I'm Jessie. I'm a machinist at a small foundry and machine shop in SLC, Utah, USA. We have recently purchased a Scharmann FB 315 HBM and are in desperate need of a manual for it. I've reached out to the current owners of the Scharmann name, and due to years of the business changing hands, they do not have any copies/records of the manual for it. The machine seems to run great aside from one "small" issue, the built-in ro-tab will not lock down. During cutting, it wants to rotate. This is obviously not ideal, and with no drawings or diagrams at all, we are a total loss as to where to start looking for the solution. Not even sure how exactly the table lock functions. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

" Tony's Lathes " internet site has a several " Scharmann " handbooks for sale. It doesn't look like the have the exact one you need but he does have quite a few. Given the way rotary tables can be common to most styles of machine maybe you could contact Tony with a view to finding out if he has one that might help.

There are a few similar machines for sale on the Internet. You could contact the vendors regarding the information you require. They may be prepared to sell you a copy of the handbook/drawings at a price.

Regards Tyrone.

Last edited:
Does the bar have the hydraulic pump? see photo
Table clamping may be from hydraulic pressure.
Failure to clamp may be a solenoid problem.
7239-Scharmann-FB315.jpg
John

Does the bar have the hydraulic pump? see photo
Table clamping may be from hydraulic pressure.
Failure to clamp may be a solenoid problem.
View attachment 260872
John

My machine doesn't have that pump on the side, however there is a pump on the side of the machine. We have no experience with HBM's so are unsure of what is hydraulic and what isn't. We currently have that pump just running on a push button rather than continuous. We did so because when it runs continuous, the machine leaks all over the place from the ways and what not. We assumed it's just a lube pump. This machine has been remanned before, sadly the company that did the reman is no longer is business, and with no owner's manual, we have no idea what exactly runs what. It would make sense to have a hydraulic clamp, that's the only thing that would be strong enough to hold the table in place during use.

My machine doesn't have that pump on the side, however there is a pump on the side of the machine. We have no experience with HBM's so are unsure of what is hydraulic and what isn't. We currently have that pump just running on a push button rather than continuous. We did so because when it runs continuous, the machine leaks all over the place from the ways and what not. We assumed it's just a lube pump. This machine has been remanned before, sadly the company that did the reman is no longer is business, and with no owner's manual, we have no idea what exactly runs what. It would make sense to have a hydraulic clamp, that's the only thing that would be strong enough to hold the table in place during use.

I don't know how a " Sharmann " rotary table works but I know how the table works on a competitor machine. You have an internal hydraulic unclamping mechanism that unclamps the table. The table is clamped by a series of " Bellville " washers on four columns. This is a fail safe system in the event of hydraulic failure. There is also a locating latch that locks the table at 0-90-180-270-360.

When the latch is out and the clamps are released there is an hydraulic motor with a gear that runs in a circular rack that rotates the table. All this is out of sight under the table. Obviously there are banks of micro switches etc that come into play.

Regards Tyrone.

I don't know how a " Sharmann " rotary table works but I know how the table works on a competitor machine. You have an internal hydraulic unclamping mechanism that unclamps the table. The table is clamped by a series of " Bellville " washers on four columns. This is a fail safe system in the event of hydraulic failure. There is also a locating latch that locks the table at 0-90-180-270-360.

When the latch is out and the clamps are released there is an hydraulic motor with a gear that runs in a circular rack that rotates the table. All this is out of sight under the table. Obviously there are banks of micro switches etc that come into play.

Regards Tyrone.

I don't believe there are any locating latches, but could very well be wrong. The table is not rotated hydraulically, it's just a little electric motor attached to a worm set. That worm set then turn a the shaft the worm wheel is on which turns another worm and wheel set on the table. The motor has an electromagnetic brake on it that is totally shot, we're replacing that motor and brake altogether. But that simple cannot be the only thing secures the table. Looks like we're likely gonna have to pull the table off.

I don't believe there are any locating latches, but could very well be wrong. The table is not rotated hydraulically, it's just a little electric motor attached to a worm set. That worm set then turn a the shaft the worm wheel is on which turns another worm and wheel set on the table. The motor has an electromagnetic brake on it that is totally shot, we're replacing that motor and brake altogether. But that simple cannot be the only thing secures the table. Looks like we're likely gonna have to pull the table off.

I should have mentioned all the other tables I've worked on have a mechanism of some sort to raise the revolving table above the lower table slightly. Some are powered, some are hand operated. This is to prevent the faces of the table from galling up when the top table is revolving.

On the more sophisticated machines I worked on the unclamping columns had roller bearings set in the top. These ran on a circular path on the under side of the revolving table. When you switched to " un clamp " the columns moved up hydraulically and the table was raised about 0.010". All this went on out of sight and the columns could only be accessed by removing a cast iron plug that covered a " porthole " set in the top of the table.

How do you set the top table square or at 90 degrees ?

Regards Tyrone.

I should have mentioned all the other tables I've worked on have a mechanism of some sort to raise the revolving table above the lower table slightly. Some are powered, some are hand operated. This is to prevent the faces of the table from galling up when the top table is revolving.

On the more sophisticated machines I worked on the unclamping columns had roller bearings set in the top. These ran on a circular path on the under side of the revolving table. When you switched to " un clamp " the columns moved up hydraulically and the table was raised about 0.010". All this went on out of sight and the columns could only be accessed by removing a cast iron plug that covered a " porthole " set in the top of the table.

How do you set the top table square or at 90 degrees ?

Regards Tyrone.

The only way I know to set the table square on this machine is to rotate it manually. A few posts above, by jhruska, he posted a pic of the same machine I've got. There's a little handle on the back of the motor that's used for fine positioning. So, one would have to sweep the edge of the table to set it to 0 degrees. We do have a digiruler DRO that's not working right now, but once fixed, you'd sweep the table, and set the DRO to 0. Again, we just started using this machine, so we're not sure of how everything is supposed to operate on it. We've figured out pretty much all the controls, everything is electric, no handwheels in sight except for the quill/facing chuck. So, once we figure out HOW the table is secured, we can get it fixed, get the digiruler fixed, and we'll be golden. I hope.

Ive got a (from memory) FB132.

The table rotation is clamped by a dozen or two little round pistons on ours, that had a rubber seal on them. It leaked like buggary. We replaced all the pistons with new ones, but cut them for 'o' rings on the outside. This was 7 or 8 years ago and worked fine.

We don't now use the machine. I do remember it was quite a job to get the table off.

The table 'X' and 'Y' clamps are a sort of rubber tube that pushes the clamp home. These had rotted on ours. I cant remember what we did to get it working now.

All in all, not the nicest machine to work on.

Ive got a (from memory) FB132.

The table rotation is clamped by a dozen or two little round pistons on ours, that had a rubber seal on them. It leaked like buggary. We replaced all the pistons with new ones, but cut them for 'o' rings on the outside. This was 7 or 8 years ago and worked fine.

We don't now use the machine. I do remember it was quite a job to get the table off.

The table 'X' and 'Y' clamps are a sort of rubber tube that pushes the clamp home. These had rotted on ours. I cant remember what we did to get it working now.

All in all, not the nicest machine to work on.

I was hoping you'd comment Johnny. How's the WB50 doing ?

Regards Tyrone.

I was hoping you'd comment Johnny. How's the WB50 doing ?

Regards Tyrone.

Hello Tyrone, hope you are keeping well.

The WB50 is great, it has the odd break down, but mostly age related (rotten wiring, minor hydraulic issues etc) - Seems to eat the 'spark plugs' that run on the slip rings in the gear boxes.

We get some good work off it though !

The Sharmann is used as a storage table now........... I should really sell it, but cant face stripping it out at the moment.

Hello Tyrone, hope you are keeping well.

The WB50 is great, it has the odd break down, but mostly age related (rotten wiring, minor hydraulic issues etc) - Seems to eat the 'spark plugs' that run on the slip rings in the gear boxes.

We get some good work off it though !

The Sharmann is used as a storage table now........... I should really sell it, but cant face stripping it out at the moment.

I'm fine Johnny, sweltering in Spain at the moment. I hope you are keeping busy. Did you have any drawings for your " Scharmann " or did you just " follow your nose " when you worked on it.
Regarding the " brushes " for the electromagnetic clutches on your WB 50 maybe the ones they are making nowadays aren't as good as in the old days.

Regards Tyrone.

Back