What's new
What's new

5/8-18 Boring head

leeko

Stainless
Hi all,

I have a 5/8-18 boring head holder for my Weldon quick change system, but haven't had much luck in finding a boring head to fit. The only ones I found are a couple of beaten up Bridgeport brand heads on eBay. Did/does anyone else make boring holders with that thread?

Thanks

Lee

7bb82d4a5523a0a107c205bd921fd73d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Erickson tenthset heads. This one is a number 37, or 3/8. They also made number 50 1/2 in and number 62 5/8 in. Looking at the shank on your holder it is not exactly made for a tenthset but I think it would work.

IMG_20200322_093212203.jpg

Thanks gbent,

I haven't seen the tenthset heads before. Are they nice to use? It looks like they adjust without any tools?

Thanks!

Lee

Very nice heads. No tools required for normal machining, but has lock screws for automatic tool changer use. Not a lot of range, as there's only one hole for the boring bar. I used to run them through the tool changer of a CNC without problem. Big adjustments are made with the boring bar diameter itself.

If you do find one, you may have to disassemble it. Some are getting up in years and dried lube makes for stiff action. Taking it apart is a little involved....and tricky. Wouldn't hurt to take pics. I've had both of mine apart and they still work!

Hey, that boring head adapter is for a Chandler boring facing head, for the smaller one.
I have one here I may let go of if interested. It only holds 1/2" shank tools and don't have much travel.

I would suggest making a threaded adapter to adapt it to a more popular boring head. I've done that to one I have here in my shop.

Ken

Hi Ken,

Funny you should mention that - after I responded, I got to thinking about making an adaptor - should be fairly straightforward ...

I found this holder in my drawer about 2 days after buying a set of 6 45 taper nikken boring bars from another member here... when it rains, it bores! I haven't received them yet, but I think they'll likely take care of my small-size boring needs.

I do have a Chandler-Duplex boring/facing head sitting in my drawer, but it's a bigger one. I want to say it takes 3/4” bars. It's on an R8 taper - I half-heartedly tried to unscrew the shank a while back, but chickened out before I hurt anything. Do you know if the bigger sizes also take the 5/8-18 thread?

Thanks!

Lee

Tenthset heads were marketed under brands including Kennametal.
Uf a Tenthset has been used with coolant it will probably be "frozen". Figure on a bath in hot w water and disassembly. After reassembly and lubrication it should work fine.

Back