What's new
What's new

5 Axis milling of gear teeth

SBAER

Hot Rolled
I am looking for a shop that is experienced in milling spur gear teeth with 5 axis CNC machine. The gears are about 2" in diameter, 1" face width and will probably be made from PEEK. Quantity 40. They would need nonstandard cutters if hobbed, I don't want to wait that long. The radius at the root is 0.034".

I am looking for a shop that is experienced in milling spur gear teeth with 5 axis CNC machine. The gears are about 2" in diameter, 1" face width and will probably be made from PEEK. Quantity 40. They would need nonstandard cutters if hobbed, I don't want to wait that long. The radius at the root is 0.034".

coughcough :smoking:

We do that.

Of course, I can also probably help you in that in case you missed the long ardous ( hellish?? ) journey a year ago, I developed the ability to make our own generative tooling for the manufacturing of generated tooth forms, right here, in house.

So we don't really give a shite if it's standard, or not. :smoking:

Cheers.

Login • Instagram

96416569_2904899932956861_2487097703914220917_n.jpg

Login • Instagram

82826778_105544477609979_6400003095083483977_n.jpg

I did follow that thread, its seemed like a high effort endeavor, making a custom gear shaper cutter is probably more work than Gleason Plastics wire EDMing a mold cavity. I'll get in touch with you today but I have a hunch your schedule id pretty full.

Stan

I did follow that thread, its seemed like a high effort endeavor, making a custom gear shaper cutter is probably more work than Gleason Plastics wire EDMing a mold cavity. I'll get in touch with you today but I have a hunch your schedule id pretty full.
Stan

It is. For many of our customers, it is a much better alternative than the typical 16-48 week lead time for custom tooling that most of the common outlets are quoting these days. And, amazingly, still less expensive than those options, too.

The ability to have any Pitch, Pressure Angle, and Tooth Configuration desired in short order, Generating Profiles, is the real draw. I mentioned it only on the chance that you need some manner of specific Quality level to the gears.

You are likely better off to have them milled if you don't require any specific or very high AGMA tolerance to be present. ( as you were looking for )

We're busy, but we try to assist all of our customers with their needs. Mostly, it just depends on what your time frame for need is. Speak with you soon.

These guys are in Michigan, near Detroit. Maybe see what they can do for ya.
KA-Wood Gear & Machine Company - Precision Gear Manufacturer

These responses make me laugh. Zahnrad is one actual functioning solution. A guy with an SH-45 Maag would be another. Maybe a mold would be a third (for 40 parts ? In peek ?)

The rest are silly.

And "5 axis" .... c'mon SB, what have you been smoking ? These are spiral bevels ?

Easiest solution for these is a custom space cutter and a dividing head. If there will be more in the future, pay Zahnrad double to work late.

Back