What's new
What's new

5 axis workholding for 5 axis newbie

metalmadness

Hot Rolled
My shop is purchasing a Hurco VM10Ui in the next couple weeks, and I think I can handle tooling it up just fine. However, I have searched and am not totally sure on what is essential work holding. To start, at minimum some self centering vises would be needed.

With a 7.8" platter, we dont have a huge work cube, so how necessary are riser plates and the like? I am guessing a bunch of you are 5 axis wizards and could offer some input.

We have looked at Raptor, Kurt, and 5Axis as potential companies.

Any 5 axis workholding tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

we have used both 5Axis, Raptor and Jergens with very good results. The riser plates are all applications dependent based on the application and tool holder extensions required.

Tom

Whether you need a riser has little to do with the diameter of the platten. It will be driven by head to table clearences, reach limits, and as noted above tool lengths and the application.

One of the first things to do (if not already done) is to get a good cad model of the machine, as a proper assembly, so you can add parts and workholding and move things around and see where the collisions are. Change the workholding in a model, and see what it does and does not fix.

Whether you need a riser has little to do with the diameter of the platten. It will be driven by head to table clearences, reach limits, and as noted above tool lengths and the application.

One of the first things to do (if not already done) is to get a good cad model of the machine, as a proper assembly, so you can add parts and workholding and move things around and see where the collisions are. Change the workholding in a model, and see what it does and does not fix.

This CAD model is something i will get today. Good point, and I know basically all parts we run on it will need full machine clearance verification from here on out.

Thanks for the tips!

Back