What's new
What's new

50 taper knee mill

Blazemaster

Hot Rolled
I have been looking at 40 taper bridgeport style machines and it got me thinking, did anyone ever make a 50 taper bridgeport style machine with a quill? More just curious than anything else. I know there are 50 taper vertical mills with quills, I have only seen them with handwheels not with a spring return handle like in a knee mill. They also usually have shorter throws on the quill, the head also doesn't swivel or knod.

I am guessing they just are not rigid enough.

Yeah, Paul Bunyan custom ordered one when he retired from logging and was going to take up machining as a hobby, but the order was canceled after he passed and moved on to the Big Rock Candy Mountains... Seriously, that would be one heck of a big machine... kinda overkill for a turret mill, I'd say.:willy_nilly:

Dennis

Lagun.jpg

How about this - 50 taper 7 1/2 Dia. quill 5 inch travel but a hand wheel.

Can anyone identify this mill?

That's the closest I have seen, the head doesn't knod and no lever for the quill though. I see that thing has a 15hp spindle and 4hp feed motor. Beef! Curious what the XYZ travel, table size, capacity and machine weight is compared to a 40 taper machine.

Wow, how are the tools retained in the spindle? That looks like a hydraulic cylinder on top. I bet you get tired of changing tools pretty quickly.

No hydraulic just a screw drawbar but I use Weldon QA holders so I can change tools much easier and no ladder needed.

We had loads of them Cincinnati amongst others, not unusual really but it depends what industry your in, not all that common in jobbing shops as 40 taper tooling is cheaper, I still have some 50 arbours laying about collecting rust.
The 40 taper machine I have was given to me because it was too small to be much use!
(Toolmaster)
Mark

Does this count?, it's Soviet as I recall, was at an auction I bought another mill at. Phot was taken a good distance away but it's definitely 50 taper.

216993d1515058931-50-taper-knee-mill-russian-mill.jpg

Attachments

• russian mill.jpg
    russian mill.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 692
K&T made some, IIRC so did Cinci. I had a Brown & sharp with a horizontal spindle. Bunches of them out there, but finding one that isn't beat to death is the problem.
JR

Does this count?, it's Soviet as I recall, was at an auction I bought another mill at. Phot was taken a good distance away but it's definitely 50 taper.

216993d1515058931-50-taper-knee-mill-russian-mill.jpg

I've worked on a few of those. I'm pretty sure that one is Russian. They're not a bad little machine. The horizontal spindle is definitely 50's Int, I think the vertical spindle is 40's Int. They were on the machines I worked on. The horizontal spindle had a electrical power draw bar with an unusual pull stud.

Regards Tyrone.

I don't think having a larger taper size than needed is a benefit.

50 taper is huge compared to 40. it's not 25% larger as the number suggests. It's like 150% larger.

IMO if you have less than 20HP there's no possible need for 50 taper.

I have a 50 taper manual mill with a quill. It's a Horizontal Boring Mill. The quill has more travel than X on your Bridgeport. It would not fit in your garage though.

Last edited:

Back