What's new
What's new

$500,000 for this sign?

Yeah i would have done it for probably 2 zeros less and still turned a profit!

Wow I could do that in a cnc shop by myself for 50k easy. Must be someone's realatives shop giving who ever gave it the okay a kick back.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My experience is that the majority of the project funding gets used up by "Artists" in meetings and doing "Concept art" drawings before finally the actual item gets built by the fabricators. The fabricators won't get enough time or money to get the item built in time for looming hard deadlines and will have to contend with the "Artist" trying to speed things up by visiting the workshop and screaming "You'll never work in this town again!!!" and fight minor practical design changes that save money, time or both.

Not a chance for $5,000.
Perhaps you meant one less zero at $50,000?

...and as FishOn pointed out, it was PART of $500,000 renovation

8x4 of 5mm coloured dibond is sub £40 trade over here, theres not more than 2k of materials there. Don't think you guys realise how cheap most signage materials are. would take some one with a 8x4 router that does commercial signage less than a day to make up all thoes letters, labour for install and the support frame would be the biggest cost.

You think this games competitive and full of bottom feeders, you don't want to ever get into print or signage! the margins are seriously thin and its all made up on qty.

8x4 of 5mm coloured dibond is sub £40 trade over here, theres not more than 2k of materials there. Don't think you guys realise how cheap most signage materials are. would take some one with a 8x4 router that does commercial signage less than a day to make up all thoes letters, labour for install and the support frame would be the biggest cost.

You think this games competitive and full of bottom feeders, you don't want to ever get into print or signage! the margins are seriously thin and its all made up on qty.

Exactly my point...your $5000 sign is not the sign they installed.

Look at the pics. Its all steel. The "childrens" part appears to be over an 1.5" thick. The "fairyland" part looks to be maybe 3/4" or more. Hard to tell from the pics. Looks like they cut it out of thinner sheet and then welded up the edges to get the thickness(?). The "childrens" letters are all joined together as well. Then its all painted after that. I cant say for sure how it was done, but I know it wasn't cut with a router from 5mm material....and even if it was, still way more work than you suggest.

Attachments

• o.jpg
    o.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 101
Probably ate up in fees, environmentals studies, and permits. You can afford to build a house in California, but you can't afford to put it on the ground.

That pic can not be a 19' tall sign, look at the person standing at the end of it?

Welding it up like that out of steel is retarded, if you want that, laser cut or routed foamex lettering is the norm and even cheaper, that would drop your cost to well bellow 2K over here including throwing in some bolts and a couple of scaffolding poles to mount it. You could go really swich and pain it with something exotic paint wise but your still sub 5 digits!

My experience is that the majority of the project funding gets used up by "Artists" in meetings and doing "Concept art" drawings before finally the actual item gets built by the fabricators. The fabricators won't get enough time or money to get the item built in time for looming hard deadlines and will have to contend with the "Artist" trying to speed things up by visiting the workshop and screaming "You'll never work in this town again!!!" and fight minor practical design changes that save money, time or both.

sorry, gotta call you on that, its almost NEVER the artist, it's usually the architect and their fresh grad student "assistant" who has never actually built anything. :skep:

OK, back in post #5 we learn that there wasn't a $500,000 sign, but a $500,000 total park entrance restoration (and a different sign as part of that).

Since then maybe half a dozen of us have explained why the $500,000 must have been due to fees, permits, environmental studies, regulations, paperwork, over-paid artists, etc.???

Lots of discussions go better when we start by getting the facts right . . .

sorry, gotta call you on that, its almost NEVER the artist, it's usually the architect and their fresh grad student "assistant" who has never actually built anything. :skep:

The last project that I was directly involved with, the "artist in residence" delayed the process of designing a monument for two years and totally ignored the group that the monument was supposed to represent. In the end we consulted with the people involved, came up with exactly what they wanted and had it fabricated and delivered in two weeks. The last I heard, the artist in residence had some sort of meltdown and left town for greener pastures.

As far as architects go, I have seen first hand the daily struggle that goes on in a civil engineer's office, while trying to make the architect's "vision" structurally sound.

Back