What's new
What's new

57/64th drill bit

mwill135

Aluminum
Stopped in to a local second hand metal supplier. They have lots of reclaimed metal. They also have tools, motors etc. They had a bin of new Chicago Latrobe 57/64th drill bits. I don't have many larger bits and for 2 bucks couldn't pass it up. Problem is I don't have a chuck to hold it. Would you make an adapter to hold the bit that would fit my chucks, or try and turn the bit shank to a smaller size?

The shank should turn down with carbide, it should be softer than the tip.

What, no whisker re-inforced ceramic inserts ?.....:D

I've done it with HSS. (the morse taper part)

You may have an "all HSS" bit, in that case, yes carbide.

What, no whisker re-inforced ceramic inserts ?.....:D

I've done it with HSS. (the morse taper part)

You may have an "all HSS" bit, in that case, yes carbide.

Quite often the flutes and tang are hard and the taper proper is soft. Hit it with a file and you will know. Found that out turning a 5MT to 4MT for a friend.

Ed.

Quite often the flutes and tang are hard and the taper proper is soft. Hit it with a file and you will know. Found that out turning a 5MT to 4MT for a friend.

Ed.

Your educating me sir ?....:toetap:

Done many of them.
They are friction/flash welded and you will find that weld quickly.

Your educating me sir ?....:toetap:

Done many of them.
They are friction/flash welded and you will find that weld quickly.

If needs be.

Most of the drills I have turned are as I described, the tang is hard then it gets softer as you get to the taper then gets harder as you get to the working area. Some are as you describe, hard line to cross, that is why I said to check them with a file. Some I have are that are so old that they have a soft tang and taper with the flutes silver brazed on, don't use them much.

Ed.

Stopped in to a local second hand metal supplier. They have lots of reclaimed metal. They also have tools, motors etc. They had a bin of new Chicago Latrobe 57/64th drill bits. I don't have many larger bits and for 2 bucks couldn't pass it up. Problem is I don't have a chuck to hold it. Would you make an adapter to hold the bit that would fit my chucks, or try and turn the bit shank to a smaller size?

I have a few around I've WELDED to get longer shanks than I had to-hand, but it isn't easy to get 'em centered.

"Jacobs type" chucks (or Albrecht type) - largest here is 3/4" - simply don't HOLD well above 3/4" even if you had such an animal.

You didn't tell us what spindle you expect to use it on, nor what, if any, other options you have for said spindle or spindles, plural, besides a "chuck"?

My case, ER, Rubberflex, or TG, for lathes, mills, and the larger drillpress. So it's fine as it is.

PITA to turn a HSS shank, (prolly M42?) down, if only 'coz they are a nuisance to center and still get a decent grip on.

But you might have to drop clear to 5/8" for the more common Jacobs chuck. The 3/4" inch capacity ones are bulky and not that common. And NOW you will also need three flats - as Silver & Deming's use - lest you just slip it instead of driving it. Most of my larger drills have MT shanks, anyway, so..

Last edited:
For two bucks, I would have had a hand full of those.

Doesn't really matter what they are the tap drill size for, they sure are a nice start to any bored hole that is supposed to be larger than that!

Another one here, saying turn the shank down to what you can use, 3/4, or 1/2 inch.
I would skip the flats to engage the chuck jaws.

Back