What's new
What's new

5C Collet Stop for Long (7.5") parts?

TeachMePlease

Diamond
Before you say make it: Yes, I can make it. My time is better spent buying one, if possible.

I have a part that's about 7.5" x .110"OD. I need to pop it in a 5C collet with .001" to .002" repeatability. I only want .050"-.1" hanging out of the collet, once clamped.

My current thinking is modifying the standard 5C collet stop like this:
0968250-23.jpg
by replacing the red stop with a piece of tubing, closed at one end, to act as my long part stop.

But, if someone has one off the shelf, I'll order it.

So, whatcha got?

Breakheart Tool

They sell individuals and sets w/ collet stop tubes for longer pieces to be held in a 5C stop. They are not "Dead Length Stops", however. Just your basic 5C stop that is a tube that screws onto your 5C collet if it has internal threads.

Breakheart Tool Company Products, 8 pc expanding arbor set, 3 pc expanding arbor set, 4 pc expanding arbor set, 5C Collet Stop Set, 5C Expanding Arbors

Hardinge makes a similar extension tube, in several lengths. Hardinge LS5C Ejector stop Collet stop | eBay

I do not know of a long part stop that attaches to old 5C collets with no internal threads.

I think Hardinge makes a long stop for their dead length collets.

And a different approach is to attach an anchor in the left end of the draw bar and use threaded rod for a stop. (1) NEW LATHE SPINDLE STOP, fits HARDINGE HLV-H, DV-59, HSL, HC, and similar, | eBay

Larry

Breakheart Tool

They sell individuals and sets w/ collet stop tubes for longer pieces to be held in a 5C stop. They are not "Dead Length Stops", however. Just your basic 5C stop that is a tube that screws onto your 5C collet if it has internal threads.

Breakheart Tool Company Products, 8 pc expanding arbor set, 3 pc expanding arbor set, 4 pc expanding arbor set, 5C Collet Stop Set, 5C Expanding Arbors

Looking at that picture jogged my memory, I used one exactly like it in an application like this, years ago. Now I have to see if I can find it :D

Before you say make it: Yes, I can make it. My time is better spent buying one, if possible.

I have a part that's about 7.5" x .110"OD. I need to pop it in a 5C collet with .001" to .002" repeatability. I only want .050"-.1" hanging out of the collet, once clamped.

My current thinking is modifying the standard 5C collet stop like this:
0968250-23.jpg
by replacing the red stop with a piece of tubing, closed at one end, to act as my long part stop.

But, if someone has one off the shelf, I'll order it.

So, whatcha got?

Hey aren't you that guy that was asking about dilling in SS? :leaving:

I remember seeing a kit with extension tubes years ago. It may have been the Breakheart kit.

The ad on Ebay called the LS5C an ejector stop. My 2 are solid stops. The one in the Ebay ad looks like mine. I think the advertiser is misinformed on what he is trying to sell.
The LS5C will work for what you need, I have a full set of the Breakhart tools and they are a disappointment. Do not work as they should. Maybe they made improvements since then.

With a solid stop your length will vary about 3 times your OD variation. With centerless ground stock you will have no problems.

I just bought a couple of expanding rubber stop plugs from a plumbing supply place.
Removed the thru bolt, replaced it with all thread. Using a series of nuts & washers,
I had the plugs positioned at the very back, and up close to the end of the all thread,
so no whipping tendency. IIRC a piece of 1/2" emt was the spacer (about 8" long in this case)
applied the force between the 2 rubber plugs.

The plugs engage to fit the collet closer draw tube.

001.jpg

I attach this to the back of the headstock spindle. I get no variation on length with 5C or 16C collets no matter how much the diameter clamped on varies. As you can tell functionality is all that maters to me. How do you like the 12L14 hex it is sitting on? That is what it looks like when they drop it off.

Back