What's new
What's new

6" Baldor Carbide Grinder Wheels?

Can'tWeld

Aluminum
Guys pick up this grinder with the purpose of sharping HSS. It was suggested to go with the white aluminum oxide type K wheels but I can't find them that will fit this grinder. My plan to to grind close to what I need on bench grinder then put finishing touches using this grinder with couple different grits. I also read a little about CBN wheels but is that for HSS or carbide? Any suggestions,links pics of your setup be very helpful and suggestions.

If I remember correctly, I got my white wheel from TraversTool. Have you looked there? I'll see if I can find the info on that.

edit: all I can see at Travers now are green wheels so it must've been somewhere else. I'll keep looking.

Are the wheels your looking for have the four screws on the hub face for mounting. If so I have acouple new aluminum oxide white wheels for a carbide grinder. If interested give me a PM.

Cadillac they are that type,I don't know what these type wheels are called so that I can google them.But they do have the 4 screws.Thanks for responding guys

Attachments

• wheel.jpg
    wheel.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 99
... I also read a little about CBN wheels but is that for HSS or carbide? ...

CBN is for HSS and diamond is for carbide on grinders like the Baldor. But the low speed grinders like Accu-Finish let you finish grind HSS tools on their diamond wheels. Apparently, slow wheel speed is the key to using diamond wheels on HSS.

Note that the Travers link in post #6 is to their Canada site with Canadian prices.

Here is the USA version 50 | 53-202-050 | Travers Tool Co., Inc.

Larry

This is fantastic information all way around. Now I know what wheels are called and have links to who sells then thanks guys for all the info. From what been reading the CBN wheels will last forever under normal use,but what grit would you suggest if you where only purchasing one? I see they go up to 500.00 which is out of my league but maybe be able find one around the 100-200 mark.

Terry Keely found it! It WAS Travers where I bought mine, and here is the US listing: 50 | 53-202-050 | Travers Tool Co., Inc.

Thanks Terry

edit: I ought to read more carefully. Mr Vanice already posted the US listing.

One comment on the wheel listed above: The one I received is horribly out of balance. The face is parallel to the plate but the composition itself is not at all uniform between the inner and outer edge (as if the hole was cast off-center). I'd say at least 1/16" out. Its easy to dress the face if needed, but unless I build a special holder for the nib, dressing the inner ring is not feasible. This surprised me since CGW is usually decent quality.

Terry Keely found it! It WAS Travers where I bought mine, and here is the US listing: 50 | 53-202-050 | Travers Tool Co., Inc.

Thanks Terry

edit: I ought to read more carefully. Mr Vanice already posted the US listing.

One comment on the wheel listed above: The one I received is horribly out of balance. The face is parallel to the plate but the composition itself is not at all uniform between the inner and outer edge (as if the hole was cast off-center). I'd say at least 1/16" out. Its easy to dress the face if needed, but unless I build a special holder for the nib, dressing the inner ring is not feasible. This surprised me since CGW is usually decent quality.

Dang that much out of balance,it was also suggested to get a dressing stick I guess for problems like being out of balance plus keeping the wheel clean.

Humorous true story. I was at a yard sale several years back and spotted a nice heavy duty old school star dresser. It was kind of out of place as in no other industrial equipment around. I actually had been keeping my eye out for one. Being a little low of cash at the moment I picked it up rather casually not showing much interest. Older guy saunters over apparently thinking I hadn't a clue what it was and says "if you can tell me what that is I'll give it to you". I couldn't quite contain the grin as I rattled off what it was and intended use. He rather grumpily handed it over with "it's yours". I did offer to pay him something for it but he stuck to his word.

Dang that much out of balance,it was also suggested to get a dressing stick I guess for problems like being out of balance plus keeping the wheel clean.

I checked my wheels on a balancer I made up with two utility knife blades and using a bit of hot melt glue got them near perfect.

Made a huge difference how smooth the machine ran.

The difference in stock removal between a white aluminum oxide wheel and a CBN wheel in HSS is huge. Giant jumps huge.
On a dual wheel hand grinder like this most have a rough and a finish mounted be it carbide or HSS to be done.
Such a white wheel should not come in with OD and ID runout. If so a clamped straight edge and normal SG dressing diamond in a block hand slid fixes it. Add shim stock for in(sideways) feed.
(okay not normal mount, you need to get to the inside corner)
If is runs true OD,ID,Face and is not balanced it is a bad wheel. This does happen but is rare.
On some 20 and 36 inch wheels I have sent them back to the factory with, "Not sure this but seems bad".
Bob

Back