What's new
What's new

6" Elephant Vise part needed

RonRock

Aluminum
So I just bought a used Elephant ELV-150E vise. Probably paid too much for it, story of my life. But it is in very good shape.Way better than the ancient Bridgeport vise that came with my also ancient Bport.

I get it in the shop and notice a lot of free play from the moving jaw section between the screw. I found that there is a piece missing between the top jaw and the screw. As luck would have it I have recently read that there is a ball bearing in there that actually takes up that space and gives adjust ability. Not sure where I read that but pretty sure that is what I need.

So anybody know where I can get that bearing? Maybe it is just 1/2 of a bearing ball. Seems like that is something I read about a Kurt vise, but IDK for sure.

Any thoughts?

It's probably a clone of the Kurt style vises.
Buy a Kurt repair kit for $20 or so and see if that fits.

Yeah that looks like a good route. I checked MSC and there are several kits offered. My guess is that I need the one for the D60.

7 Piece Vise Repair Kit 65105462 - MSC

The bearing that I need in that kit seems to be the same item that is in some of the other kits that I think are also 6" vises.

Shipping will jack the price a bit I'm sure, but $12.73 isn't bad.

Thanks

Well I went thorough the checkout process. My price on the kit is $10.83. Shipping $12.79. That sucks. So I'll have to look over MSC and see if there is something else I need. Pretty hard for me to spend more on shipping than the item itself.

Any other suggestions where I can order the kit?

I very recently scrapped a vise that trashed the screw threads. I may still have that 1/2 bearing in my scrap steel bucket. I will check tonight if you can wait.

It is a VERY imprecise "bearing". You can easily eyeball a spherical end on a bar in lathe and part it off. No need to start with a ball bearing.

I very recently scrapped a vise that trashed the screw threads. I may still have that 1/2 bearing in my scrap steel bucket. I will check tonight if you can wait.

It is a VERY imprecise "bearing". You can easily eyeball a spherical end on a bar in lathe and part it off. No need to start with a ball bearing.

I might give that a try. I would like to know if you are able to locate it. If I had just tossed something in the scrap bucket it would be at the very bottom, and the last piece in the bucket! Let me know.

Cheers,
Ron

Back