What's new
What's new

62" Micrometer Length Standard Calibration

countryboy1966

Hot Rolled
I would put in the metrology section, but I don't think it would get the exposure.

Does anyone know of a company in the United States that can calibrate up 62" length standards and provide accredited certs?

Cleveland Specialty is can calibrate but cannot provide accredited certs.

I would put in the metrology section, but I don't think it would get the exposure.

Does anyone know of a company in the United States that can calibrate up 62" length standards and provide accredited certs?

Cleveland Specialty is can calibrate but cannot provide accredited certs.
try
Brunson Instrument Company -
they had setup with laser inferometer used for measuring invar bars and making optical alignment scales. using high magnification and the laser in a temperature controlled room
now invar bar is rated for low expansion and contraction with temperature changes but everything else does expand and contract with temperature changes. so invar is not necessarily the best for everything. in my experience steel used to measure steel they expand and contract the same with temperature changes. usually it is better or at least more repeatable. when you use invar all you do is measure how everything changes length when the temperature changes

Have you considered doing it yourself? That is 3 x 24", a 12", and a 2". I have a long block set I could put together I think would do the job, but uncertified.

I think you mean 2 X 24", a 12", and a 2" = 62".

And yes, why wouldn't you use certified gauge blocks? Isn't that what they are for?

Have you considered doing it yourself? That is 3 x 24", a 12", and a 2". I have a long block set I could put together I think would do the job, but uncertified.

I called Brunson, but they said they deal with optical mic related items not length standards for dial micrometers. Maybe a second Brunson?

same place optical mic sees optical scale at 1 to 100 feet away. optical scale made by a type of photographic process and i saw them use laser inferometer to check scales they just made
they also had invar bars to set distances when moving a optical alignment instrument a specific distance on a special stand
if they say they do not make length standards i am not sure why seeing how they had equipment. the laser i believe had output like .00001"
but thats over 15 years ago. maybe i am not remembering everything correctly

And yes, why wouldn't you use certified gauge blocks? Isn't that what they are for?

Not everybody has calibrated gage blocks at hand. Mine aren't calibrated, and aren't going to get calibrated unless a customer requires me too.

Source has been found. Thanks.

For those curious:

East Coast Calibration was very responsive and can do up to 80" as Daniel states. Even willing to expedite in two days.

Mitutoyo in Aurora, Il can calibrate their own standards as well at a reasonable rate of $67 each.

Back