7050 T7651 Bought at Auction - Any Ideas of Value? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tough crowd!

OP, don't get too discouraged, I've used and like 7050 Al, and if my long-ago research was correct it has almost the same strength as 7075, but with better stress corrosion resistance and more stable at elevated temperature use (at least, for an aluminum). But you'd want to check current literature before trying to use it for anything structural/critical.

If you're regretting the purchase, you might review how it was listed in the auction. If the text said "6" OD" but it's actually smaller (it could be 4.25" going by the printing), then you can probably negotiate a voiding of the bid due to incorrect information. Might even be able to get your CC co to help with this (if bought with a card). Otherwise perhaps a reduction in price (less likely).

2. Likes Hardplates liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Go buy a 6' piece of 4.5" 7075 on McMaster, its $1343.43

I don't get to work with much aluminum but when I do a 7000 series is specced more often than not. A close second is 2024, rarely do I ever see a job come through calling for 6061 Then again I don't build choppers and drones

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    still have a couple chinks on the shelf.
    You've got a couple WHAT? WHERE?

5. Likes cyanidekid, jancollc, chet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    Well, you never know when you're going to need a spare...

[No persons of Asian descent were harmed in the writing of this comment. At least, that's what my lawyer's told me.]

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    Lol. I didn't even notice that.

To whom it may concern: there are no chinks on my shelves.

8. Likes Hardplates liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To whom it may concern: there are no chinks on my shelves.
    You better stock up, there might be a shortage soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

He could make a log cabin with the materiel and stuff the chinks between the logs with the turnings.
    Bill D

11. Likes jancollc, Limy Sami liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    He could make a log cabin with the materiel and stuff the chinks between the logs with the turnings.
    Bill D
    ROFL. That one got coffee on my keyboard.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whichita iron and metal is 1.50 a pound for 7075 remnants from the aerospace industries
    Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I still have a couple chinks on the shelf.
    Your shop is in chinatown?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Tough crowd!

OP, don't get too discouraged, I've used and like 7050 Al, and if my long-ago research was correct it has almost the same strength as 7075, but with better stress corrosion resistance and more stable at elevated temperature use (at least, for an aluminum). But you'd want to check current literature before trying to use it for anything structural/critical.

If you're regretting the purchase, you might review how it was listed in the auction. If the text said "6" OD" but it's actually smaller (it could be 4.25" going by the printing), then you can probably negotiate a voiding of the bid due to incorrect information. Might even be able to get your CC co to help with this (if bought with a card). Otherwise perhaps a reduction in price (less likely).
    No worries! I have incredibly thick skin - my wife has late-stage Alzheimer's and trust me, if you can get through the day (after day, after day, after day) with that, anything else is pretty mild in comparison...

I buy an incredible array of things from all the various government agencies, and have always made some pretty amazing returns - been buying from these sites for over 20 years now. And as a matter of fact, we purchased the home we are living in from the IRS at an auction about 5 years ago now - and it's worth 3 or 4 times what we paid for it (even here in West Virginia!), so if this becomes the one dog, so be it. I'm still relatively young (62) and in great health, so you never know, I may be able to use it all up in the coming years and it becomes a wash... Or make some fine corner posts for a nice chicken coup. I'm pretty resourceful, so I'll find some use for it!

I've been a tooling engineer (injection molding - medical devices) most of my professional career. Having my own garage-based machine shop/man cave has always been my dream. Unfortunately hasn't turned out exactly the way I was planning, but that's life. The Haas tech will be out on Tuesday to finally bring the new TL-2 to life and get the TM-1P Mill all dialed in - after installing a new dual battery pack for the CMOS (yes, I have everything saved on a flash drive!). My beautiful and amazing wife and I have lived an incredible life - traveled the world many, many times over, so we were absolutely ready to settle down.

And of course, given everything, as Garth Brooks sings "I could have missed the pain
    But I'da had to miss the dance." And I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your TL2 won't be long enough but you might be able to make axles for midgets out of it. Might even be better than 7075. Or sell it to someone who does. Deep hole drilling required but I was paying $3.50 a pound (best deal available then, Ryerson wanted twice that) for 6 1/2" 7075 forty years ago. If you can find a use for it, your buy was an okay deal.

If not, better come up with something that's about 4" in diameter to make I actually have an idea, come to think of it ....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Your TL2 won't be long enough but you might be able to make axles for midgets out of it. Might even be better than 7075. Or sell it to someone who does. Deep hole drilling required but I was paying $3.50 a pound (best deal available then, Ryerson wanted twice that) for 6 1/2" 7075 forty years ago. If you can find a use for it, your buy was an okay deal.

If not, better come up with something that's about 4" in diameter to make I actually have an idea, come to think of it ....
    Heavy duty, muti-roll toilet paper holders, for the folks stocking up on moon floss, in preparation for a respiratory disease outbreak?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by trevj View Post
    Heavy duty, muti-roll toilet paper holders, for the folks stocking up on moon floss, in preparation for a respiratory disease outbreak?

One of my multi million dollar ideas. Toilet paper holders that will only allow the toilet paper to roll off in one direction.

2 different web sites, 2 different company names. One that only allows the paper to roll over, the other allowing the paper to only roll from underneath.

Some people are fanatical about their toilet paper direction.

19. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post

2 different web sites, 2 different company names. One that only allows the paper to roll over, the other allowing the paper to only roll from underneath.

Some people are fanatical about their toilet paper direction.
    How inefficient! My design (patent pending) uses AI and programming to set the proper orientation. When a luser tries mounting a roll opposite to the setting, an electric shock is delivered to the metal frame of the roll holder. Optionally, these shocks increase in intensity with repeated attempts - sure to please the setter, unless the burning smell gets too intense...