What's new
What's new

Magnetic base question

Alpinejim

Plastic
Hi

I have a magnetic base to hold my DTI but the arm is a bit floppy at the ball joint near the base.
Does anyone know if these can be tightened or are they junk once they loose their rigidity?

It's a no name base with no model ID.

James

Sorry, the forum rotated the image for some reason

Attachments

• IMG_3072.jpg
    IMG_3072.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 87
Hi

I have a magnetic base to hold my DTI but the arm is a bit floppy at the ball joint near the base.
Does anyone know if these can be tightened or are they junk once they loose their rigidity?

It's a no name base with no model ID.

James

Sorry, the forum rotated the image for some reason

If it works like a " NOGA " magnetic stand you can easily top up the hydraulic oil that locks up the mechanism.

Regards Tyrone.

Not all of them are hydraulic. My Noga isn't. It uses a ramp ended rod to apply pressure against the ball joints to lock them. Can't really tell if that one is hydraulic or not, you'd have to take it apart to be sure if there are no manuals or whatnot available.

Well, I took the screw off and I have something like a check valve ball which is pushed on by the action of the screw. So, I don't appear to have something I can top up with oil but, tightening the screw further does apply more pressure which stffens up the arm.

However, I thought that someone had oiled the ball joints but maybe it's hydraulic fluid seeping out so the screw may have to be tightened ever harder as more oil comes out.
I wonder if there's a way to disassemble further and replace seals and oil. Can anyone see from the photos below how this might come apart? Are those little holes for a tool to spin them off maybe?

Attachments

• IMG_3074.jpg
    IMG_3074.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3077.jpg
    IMG_3077.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 35
Not all of them are hydraulic. My Noga isn't. It uses a ramp ended rod to apply pressure against the ball joints to lock them. Can't really tell if that one is hydraulic or not, you'd have to take it apart to be sure if there are no manuals or whatnot available.

My " NOGA " was hydraulic. You just wound the locking knob all the way out, put a little bit of oil in, and then replaced the locking knob. You didn't need a grip like a gorilla to get the whole thing nice and tight.
I must have topped the oil up about twice in all the time I had it.

Regards Tyrone.

Back