What's new
What's new

A1-6 Spindle - good or bad or?

GregSY

Diamond
I'm looking at a lathe with an A1-6 spindle. I'm not familiar with that one...so where does it rank? I'm more familiar with the D1-6 and L1 spindles. This is on a 17" swing lathe.

Does it have any notable shortcomings?

Is it particulary hard to change chucks?

Is it 'limited availability' in terms of chuck selection etc.?

I think intended for less frequent changes. A types are almost always found on such production machinery as turret lathes

You have to pick up your wrench and "undo" bolts

Obviously less cost to make those spindles - no loose parts like D type

I'm looking at a lathe with an A1-6 spindle. I'm not familiar with that one...so where does it rank? I'm more familiar with the D1-6 and L1 spindles. This is on a 17" swing lathe.

If its anything like A1-5, people here tend to say its a common size, but damn chucks are hard to find, but that might have something to do with most sellers not recognizing what they have, and those that do, price them like they are special.

And then there are people like Keith R that modify them to fit Rivets! Killed me watching that:crazy:

My Webb/Whacheon has an A1-6, as do many Mori Seiki lathes. I wish mine were D1-6, but it’s not too difficult to change chucks (D1-6 definitely faster/easier IMO).
It creates mounting problems for spindle tooling like scroll chucks where you have inner workings where you can’t simply drill/bolt through it, so 2/3/4/6 jaw scroll chucks are much more limited and usually bolt on the smaller inner bolt circle.
Independent/non-scroll jaw chucks, faceplates, ... don’t have this problem.
A1-6 and D1-6 are actually the same nose taper, just different holding mechanics.

Thanks. This is a Mori in fact. I guess the A1-6 won't prevent me from buying it. I don't buy a lot of chucks though I do change them fairly often.

I could spend another $3K and get a similar lathe with a D1-6...not sure it's worth it...?

Thanks. This is a Mori in fact. I guess the A1-6 won't prevent me from buying it. I don't buy a lot of chucks though I do change them fairly often.

I could spend another $3K and get a similar lathe with a D1-6...not sure it's worth it...?

Build a cradle that sits on the ways just an inch or less under the chuck to catch/hold the chuck.
Maybe get an Allen wrench mounted on a ratcheting torque wrench to make for easier and faster changes and more consistent tightening/torque.

Back