What's new
What's new

A36 Scale thickness

Oliver46

Aluminum
Read thru a lot of threads on the topic, seems to get heated at times, however I just have a simple question(maybe). I've got a 4"rectangular square of HR A-36, from what I've read I should mill under the scale on the first pass if possible. So, for the question, just how thick should I expect the hard scale to be? I want to keep it as close to 4x4 as possible, while getting a very clean finish, and truly square corners!

Got pictures of the material?

Hot rolled square bar often has radiused corners. The bigger the bar, the bigger the radius. I wouldn't be surprised if 4x4 bar had 0.125" or larger corner radii.

The dimensional tolerances on A36 is also much looser than that of cold rolled bar like 1018.

Then on top of all that, there's the straightness (or lack thereof).

So with regards to milling 4x4 bar as close to nominal dimension with sharp corners, I think the scale thickness is going to be the least of your worries.

A36 is a pita! Not hard just messy not straight have to machine it just to locate it to machine it! Have a customer that buys a36 2 by 6 and needs finished parts 2.00 by 6 inch by 8 inches long + .005 - .000 showed him many times cant be done and be clean machined. Smh did i mention messy.

When I find it I don’t need it
When I need it I can’t find it!

whenever possible I drop it in my tote of muriatic acid for a few and burn that stuff completely off before working it.

Yes to what Orange said.

I would go up to 4 1/2" to be certain.

Your retired ? you have time to whittle off a few extra passes to make certain
you get what you need.

As mentioned above, if you have the option, toss it in the acid tank and eat most of it off. That is what I do if I can get the part in the tank.

I remember what a very well versed and intelligent steel salesman told me a long time ago about A36. He said, "The only thing I can guarantee about HRS is if you throw it in the ocean, it will sink". And I absolutely agree with him.

Back