What's new
What's new

A5 Spindle Nose -- How Common?

Jim Frame

Plastic
I picked up a 10" T-slot face plate with an A5 mount in an auction lot and have listed it on eBay, but I don't see any others like it listed. Are A5 spindle noses common? What brands of lathes use them?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but not as common as the camlock style. Don't A-series spindle noses typically find their way onto cnc machines and modernish turret lathes?

Anyways, do you know which A series mount you have on hand? A1-5 or A2-5?

This should help you out if you don't.. Lathe Spindle Nose Mounting Identification Chart

On the plus side, A series mounts are quite adaptable..

Travis

I picked up a 10" T-slot face plate with an A5 mount in an auction lot and have listed it on eBay, but I don't see any others like it listed. Are A5 spindle noses common? What brands of lathes use them?

Thanks!

A) They aren't common with face plates, not much is, long-since.

B) Must be at least one. Dunno if there are more or not. "A" tapers tend to be out of sight most of their lives. Used on lathes where the workholder doesn't get removed until holder, lathe, or both are worn-out, get parted-out, auctioned-off, may end up on eBay.

"L" series was the quickest change. D1 not slow at 2 & 3 pin, slower than "L" once yah hit six pins.

"A" is a pain in the anatomy as to affixing bolts and workholder components not interfering with each other, tended to be sort of "encourage permanence" but were/are cheaper for not needing a QC locking system.

So yes, CNC uses a lot of "A" series. Not much ELSE, actually.

A2-5, as there's only one set of bolt holes, corresponding to the outer ring of the spindle. (I don't have an A5 spindle, I'm going off of nominal dimensions.)

I've attached a couple of photos for reference.

Thanks!

t2.jpgt3.jpg

Could be for a rotary axis. The Haas HRTA5 indexer takes that mount. That plate looks pretty new, I'd say the chances of that being related to a Haas are pretty good.

A1 has ALL the tapped holes in spindle nose (that is 19 in an A5). A2 omits inner bolt circle

Per ASA / ASME B5.9 Spindle Noses

A1 has ALL the tapped holes in spindle nose (that is 19 in an A5). A2 omits inner bolt circle

Per ASA / ASME B5.9 Spindle Noses

Spindle will show him.. if he had such. Plate alone? May not?

But I suspect Mud has nailed it, partly off the relative "newness".

More likely to be still current... and common... Haas, than some import - orphaned... last century.

Haas are meant to be bought reasonably cheaply, run TF to death, sooner the better, have earned a decent profit to buy new and better, lather, rinse, do it again, better, harder, and faster. Elegant "decorators" they were never.

So if this came from an "auction"?

What else was listed in the same auction?

If you're brave enough, it can be converted into a D1-5 face plate IF you can get the cam lock pins to locate properly without interfering with existing holes. Also, the face plate would have to be thick enough for the studs. The register for the tapered nose is the same as on a D-1 spindle nose. Ken

What else was listed in the same auction?

It was quite a mix of machine tool accessories. I bought it because I wanted the Bison superspacer and an old (and fairly beat-up) Index 12" rotab, and have been selling off the rest to defray costs. Already sold are a couple of 8" chucks, a Hardinge-Sjogren D1-6 speed chuck, 3 Bridgeport power feeds (2 X and 1 Y), a Servo X feed that was sold as "for parts or repair" that the buyer now wants to return because it doesn't work (duh) (eBay tricked me into authorizing a return), 4 each Kurt swivel bases for 6" vises, and a Dorian SD30BXA tool post.

Yet to be sold are a couple of follower rests that I posted about recently (not sure of make, but appear to be for 13" lathe), a really nice 15" Bridgeport rotab (I'd keep it but it's way too big for my mill), a very nice 15" D1-6 T-slot face plate that I may not be able to sell because demand is low and shipping cost high. Also, a Jacobs speed chuck (no collets), and another Hardgine-Sjogren speed chuck (DI-3 or D1-4, I forget) with 47 Hardinge collets.

I looked, but not finding your face plate, could I get a link?

The 10" plate listing is here:

10" Cast Iron Lathe T-Slot Face Plate A-5 Mount | eBay

Looking at the pics of this face plate I noticed there is no hole in it for the drive lug? Spindle on my Yam lathe has both inner and outer bolt holes + a drive lug, my understanding is the bolts just hold chuck to spindle, the drive lug is for rotational force. If it is A2-5, why no hole for drive lug?

OP, the biggest problem as a buyer in looking for A1-5/A2-5 chucks is that most sellers list them as "flat back", the clue to me is that they have the hole for the drive lug, so there are more out there, just miss-described.

...This should help you out if you don't.. Lathe Spindle Nose Mounting Identification Chart...

Here's some better info on the spindle dimensions....

Lathe Spindle Nose Mounting Systems

That first chart is kinda weird; they've converted all the dimensions to metric and then bunched 'em up
so tight you can't figure out where one number ends and the next begins. As far as I know all those
spindles were originally designed with imperial measurements so the metric conversion is a bit strange,
especially in North America...

Back