What's new
What's new

Accublast Servo Coolant system - Works on fadal now

Duc

Aluminum
Right off the bat - I dont make this system but may receive a slave servo head for helping to make it work with a Fadal. Either way I purchased a servo unit at full price since I thought I could make it work. Right now the system runs about ~$700 since its in prototype phase.

For the last 3 years I've been looking for a servo coolant system for my Fadal. Flood nozzles are ok but a pain for long drill bits to endmill tool changes. I looked into piecing together a original Fadal servo coolant system with amplifier, controller card and associated hardware. Not a easy task nor cheap. Almost purchased a really old Spidercool kit off Ebay and even debated spending 4k on a Spidercool system. For normal shops the cost is easier to justified but for a part time home shop the cost was too high. I found Accublast was a new company producing a new servo blast system but the unit wasnt tested on a Fadal mill.

Peter from Accublast and I exchanged a few emails with details on how the system functioned while I researched the I/O on the fadal. Once the system arrived I tried a few different methods of interfacing the Accublast I/O board into the fadal I/O. The final method was using a IDC34 breakout board to tie into a ribbon cable from the 1060 computer chassis board. Add a few 5v relays to the mix then off to the Accublast I/O card. We had to modify the programming on the Accublast system to account for the relay bounce and how the Fadal signals are different then other systems.

System can use either the Haas ethernet, serial dprint or I/O to set which tool is being used. On the Fadal the system is looking at the CW and CCW tool changer I/O points and the hall effect sensor to keep track of the tool pocket. System is easy to setup once installed. Power up mill, set current tool pocket on the display board, set angle of coolant nozzle and if you want a twitch motion on the nozzles. The Fadal servo unit requires gcode programming to function versus the easier Accublast display unit. Gcode would be better for production runs to avoid button pusher from moving shit.

I'm trying to convince the manufacture to make a plug and play board to make install a lot easier for everyone. A few friends would love this system but need a simpler install that what I have. I still need to do long term testing on the setup but over 70 tool changes have been flawless.

I also have a PDF of the wiring schematic used for the system which includes the part numbers used. If the pictures dont work well enough for you. Send a pm for a copy.
Servo Unit.jpgIO setup.jpgdisplay.jpgSchematic page 1.jpg

!!Interested!!

The relay bounce is interesting, has adding a snubber into the circuit to help the the bounce been tried yet? I do have a concern about relying on the output of the hall effect sensor during CW/CCW rotation of the platten, if the SETTO command is used to manipulate the control into identifying a new pocket at tool #1 then the Accublast system would have to be reconfigured to associate the change of nozzle angle to the associated pocket tool number. Has this been accounted for yet? The plan I have for my system was going to use "H" and "D" tool values in my design to adjust nozzle angle, the "H" and "D" values being associated with the tool/tool pocket. Therefore, if the tool pocket is changed it would be mute as the coolant derives angle from tool parameters not pocket/tool changer feedback. The system having a known distance from the spindle centerline can use a Inverse TAN variable to be able to derive the required angle of the nozzle for the required coolant stream.

5” distance from nozzle face to CL of spindle (minus) D"n" diameter value tool table (rise)
“n” denoted tool number variable, H”n” value of length of triangle (run)
M6Tn (TOOL CHANGE, TOOL #)
Dn Hn (TOOL DIAM, TOOL HEIGHT)
VARIABLE: angle of nozzle via
Nozzle angle (in radians or degress) = 1/Tan(5”-D"n" (diam value)/H”n” (height value))

For Accublast to use these values they would have to find a way to get the outputs from the tools tables in the firmware. I was talking with one of the well seasoned Fadal techs I know very well, he seems to have actual engineering/technical experience more-so than just being a parts replacer. He and I have been talking about the Fadal logic programming and if it can be accessed to pull control output from. I haven't gone far with it now, but it seems (in theory) to be promising. I have been thinking about using the 5th axis as an input/output for a servo controlled system. I just haven't put the time into sourcing a small enough tach monitored motor that I could interface a resolver to, I have the rest of the manifold articulation mechanism worked out otherwise. My plan was to use the 5th axis and associate an angle to each tool, the 5th axis can then be programmed via G-code to manipulate the nozzle angle according to the logic above. I would love to be involved in helping this move forward. Spider-cool is out of my price range, and most shops that run Fadals that I know of are in the same boat. The same is true for the Lightning cool system, way to expensive, but I won't go into that now.

On a separate note:
I am finally at the point where I have all the necessary parts and schematics for my version of a Fadal Auto Air Gun system. It is disgusting what HAAS wants to charge for the parts, I was able to recreate the system for much less.

!!Interested!!

The relay bounce is interesting, has adding a snubber into the circuit to help the the bounce been tried yet? I do have a concern about relying on the output of the hall effect sensor during CW/CCW rotation of the platten, if the SETTO command is used to manipulate the control into identifying a new pocket at tool #1 then the Accublast system would have to be reconfigured to associate the change of nozzle angle to the associated pocket tool number. Has this been accounted for yet? The plan I have for my system was going to use "H" and "D" tool values in my design to adjust nozzle angle, the "H" and "D" values being associated with the tool/tool pocket. Therefore, if the tool pocket is changed it would be mute as the coolant derives angle from tool parameters not pocket/tool changer feedback. The system having a known distance from the spindle centerline can use a Inverse TAN variable to be able to derive the required angle of the nozzle for the required coolant stream.

5” distance from nozzle face to CL of spindle (minus) D"n" diameter value tool table (rise)
“n” denoted tool number variable, H”n” value of length of triangle (run)
M6Tn (TOOL CHANGE, TOOL #)
Dn Hn (TOOL DIAM, TOOL HEIGHT)
VARIABLE: angle of nozzle via
Nozzle angle (in radians or degress) = 1/Tan(5”-D"n" (diam value)/H”n” (height value))

For Accublast to use these values they would have to find a way to get the outputs from the tools tables in the firmware. I was talking with one of the well seasoned Fadal techs I know very well, he seems to have actual engineering/technical experience more-so than just being a parts replacer. He and I have been talking about the Fadal logic programming and if it can be accessed to pull control output from. I haven't gone far with it now, but it seems (in theory) to be promising. I have been thinking about using the 5th axis as an input/output for a servo controlled system. I just haven't put the time into sourcing a small enough tach monitored motor that I could interface a resolver to, I have the rest of the manifold articulation mechanism worked out otherwise. My plan was to use the 5th axis and associate an angle to each tool, the 5th axis can then be programmed via G-code to manipulate the nozzle angle according to the logic above. I would love to be involved in helping this move forward. Spider-cool is out of my price range, and most shops that run Fadals that I know of are in the same boat. The same is true for the Lightning cool system, way to expensive, but I won't go into that now.

On a separate note:
I am finally at the point where I have all the necessary parts and schematics for my version of a Fadal Auto Air Gun system. It is disgusting what HAAS wants to charge for the parts, I was able to recreate the system for much less.

If the hall effect sensor misses the tool change then there is much bigger issues. I tied the system into the hall effect used by the Fadal system and if it misses then your driving a tool into the part due to length differences versus what the system believes it has loaded. Now if the Accublast system for some reason loses the tool count or the user does a SETTO the operator can reset what the Accublast current tool count is in about 10 seconds.

Tool select.jpg
Pushing the menu knob will cause the green box to highlight the T#. Rotating the menu knob will scroll thru the numbers till the number is correct. None of the programming for the nozzles will need to be redone. Stupid simple system to operate and modify.

I see no reason why this system couldn't be used for a air nozzle also. Just tie in a water solenoid valve to kill the coolant flow and a pneumatic valve to turn on the air flow. Control it by M-code to switch between the default setting of coolant or air. Tomorrow when I have more time I will respond to the PM.

Back