What's new
What's new

Accurite 25 pin to 6 pin adapter?

n2zon

Cast Iron
I have an old Acu-Rite display that works, and has 6-pin connectors. I have a lathe with what appears to be an X-axis AR scale on it, but it has a 25-pin connector.

Is there an adapter that will work, or did they change the connector alone with the scale resolution?

Alternatively, anyone got a display that will work? I'd be happy with just one axis for now...

I know Acu-rite sells adapters to go from round-plug scales to modern displays, so check with them to see if they have the reverse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been working on AcuRite scales for 27 years and I’ve never seen an AcuRite scale with a factory installed D25 connector. To my knowledge, the only DRO manufacturer who used D25 connectors was Sargon. The good news is that Sargon scales produced TTL signals which are compatible with AcuRite DROs. Can you post a picture of the scale? We have interfaced many Sargon scales with AcuRite DROs.

I’ve been working on AcuRite scales for 27 years and I’ve never seen an AcuRite scale with a factory installed D25 connector. To my knowledge, the only DRO manufacturer who used D25 connectors was Sargon. The good news is that Sargon scales produced TTL signals which are compatible with AcuRite DROs. Can you post a picture of the scale? We have interfaced many Sargon scales with AcuRite DROs.

I havent been working on these that long, but in agreement. How many pins could have been on the SWI plug for AR scales? I think its like a 13 pin or something, but the actual plug has more. *shrugs*

Jon

Give that man a Cigar! What did we ever do without cell phone cameras? A close-up of the head shows the name clearly. A Sargon it is indeed. It has the same number of wires as an AcuRite. Any idea what the pinouts are? I have a soldering iron and I'm not afraid to use it.

The Sargon is wired to pins 1, 2, 14 and 15. The wires are green (P1), black (P14), blue (P2), and red (P15).

Hello n2zon, that’s great news. I am home for the weekend but I’ll be sure to post the pinouts on Monday when I return to the office. However, from memory, I think this is the Sargon D25 pinout.

14 = 0v (black)
15 = 5v (red)
1 = TTL A (green)
2 = TTL B (blue)

I’m 100% positive this is the AcuRite MS pinout

D = 0v (white)
C = 5v (brown)
A = TTL A (green)
B = TTL B (blue)

AcuRite_MS.jpg

Hello n2zon,

I have reviewed my documentation and confirmed that my earlier post was correct. However, I forgot to mention the reference mark signal which was used on only select Sargon models. Here are the pinouts for Sargon and AcuRite Scales.

SARGON D25 PINOUT: (Single-Ended)
14 = 0v
15 = 5v
1 = TTL A
2 = TTL B
3 = REFERENCE

ACURITE MS PINOUT: (Single-Ended)
D = 0v
C = 5v
A = TTL A
B = TTL B
F = REFERENCE

ACURITE D9 PINOUT: (Differential)
2 = TTL A+
3 = TTL A-
4 = TTL B+
5 = TTL B-
6 = 0V
7 = 5V
8 = REFERENCE+
9 = REFERENCE-

Based on your post, you are only interested in the D25 to MS connection. I have also included the AcuRite D9 differential pinout to benefit anyone else looking for the information. If you ever need to interface a differential scale to a single-ended display, simply disregard the negative signal lines as they are used for noise immunity.

Good luck sir!

Colors don't match...no brown wire on the Acurite end. Trying to dissect the molded connector to verify the pins, but it's slow going.

Thanks!

You will notice that I removed the color designations from my recent post because AcuRite changed cable color codes in the 90’s. Just match up the pins and you are good to go. Good luck!

You will notice that I removed the color designations from my recent post because AcuRite changed cable color codes in the 90’s. Just match up the pins and you are good to go. Good luck!

I might get back to this tomorrow. Today was helping a friend rip two layers of shingles off a roof. I'm gonna hurt _everywhere_ tomorrow morning, so many activities will be Right Out. Some light work like soldering sounds like something I might actually be able to get done...after a nice, long, hot soak...

It's *alive*!

Followed the pinouts you provided, and it moved with the carriage. Cool!

Then I put a dial indicator on it, and saw that it was reading 1.27X the travel. It took a few seconds to realize that's half of 2.54. OK, so the Sargon scale is metric. Hmmm...find the Acu Rite manual, set the switches to match, and voila! I have an Z-axis DRO readout on my lathe. Thanks so much!

Now, to take the old Y-axis scale from my mill and try to fit it to the crossfeed so I have an X-axis readout too.

No other price beats "free" for a DRO...the Acu Rite was hanging around because the X-axis scale on the mill died and it cost more for the scale alone than it did for a complete replacement DRO.

Edit: Fix spelling.

Last edited:
I’m so glad to hear it worked and you noticed the metric/imperial scale settings. Have a fantastic weekend!

Last edited:
I’m so glad to hear it worked and you noticed the metric/imperial setting. Have a fantastic weekend!

I can see I wasn't clear. It's more than an imperial/metric setting. The Acu Rite II works with a number of different scale resolutions. There's a table in the book for setting the internal switches so it translates the scale pulses to the corresponding linear distance for the display. The Sargon scale has a different resolution than the scale I got with it originally, so the switches had to be set for the "new" scale. I'd have remembered the table eventually--I read the manual several years ago--but that it was reading 1.27X the actual distance jogged my memory quickly once I realized that was half of 2.54.

You were perfectly clear in your previous post. I have updated my response to reflect my understanding. Late night tech support can result in lean and anemic comments sometimes , my apologies. Have a great weekend with your new(old) DRO. I am very pleased that I could help you get it running. Feel free to contact me any time directly [email protected] or 909-614-4518.

Craig

I have an Acu-Rite DRO on my 1973 9X 42 Bridgeporat table the Y axis works however ,the X axis does not. I swapped the X with the Y just to check it for functionality . The X still not functioning.
I cleaned out the glass and the reader head on the X , didn't make any difference.
I wonder if anyone had a similar problem and found a fix for it, if so would you please share it.
Thx.
John

Kinda thread jack,

I have an Acu-rite II display that powers up and reads for a few minutes then goes dark and comes back on zeroed out. Are there any "common failure modes" that would cause this?

Steve

That sounds like a component heating and moving a cracked solder joint.

I'd start with some decent magnification and looking over the solder joints for visible cracks. Look for burns or other signs of mechanical damage.

I have long figured that about 90 percent of all the things that go wrong with electronics, are mechanical issues, mainly broken wires and broken solder joints.
Cold spray sometimes is useful.

For what it's worth, a good solder joint should be smooth and shiny. A cold solder joint, one that has moved while the solder is setting up, or one that has been worked back and forth, typically looks dull and crystallized, but not always.

Back