What's new
What's new

Acer 3VKH vs Lagun FTV 2 L

beckerkumm

Hot Rolled
Looking for opinions as to relative value and comparison between the two mills. Both are in like new condition. Lagun is twice the price ( about 6K difference ) but has about 2K or more add ones, power draw bar, servo power X axis, etc. How superior is the Lagun and is it worth a 3-4K upcharge over an Acer is similar shape? Thanks, Dave

Lagun is well-made, and extremely durable. I don't know that much about the Acer, but I think it is one of a number of similar Asian imports (Taiwan, I think). Generally, Taiwan-built equipment is distinctly better than mainland Chinese, but they can still suffer from bad design that leads to premature failure. If the machine is going into a production environment, get the Lagun.

Both are R8. From what I have read, the 40 taper Lagun uses the same 3.375 quill rather than upsizing it to 4" . You can buy heads for the Acer that most Taiwan machines. The head includes a vfd, motor, and wiring upgrade so it is not cheap. The 4L Lagun or 6VK acer move up to integral axis feeds rather than add on and those generally are 40 taper. Seems pretty rare to find the smaller series of either in 40.

I have a big Rambaudi UR60 for the hogging work. Looking for a faster spindle and easier changes so while the 40 would be my preference, it really isn't a deal breaker with the NMTB 50 on the Rambaudi. DaveDSCN3910.jpg

beckerkumm: I bought a new 3vk about 1995 when I started my own shop. It has been a good machine for me. Only experience that I have had on a Lagun was when I helped out a buddy for a few day when he was swamped. I used his Lagun for about 2 1/2 days and didn't care for it. It was in good shape, but was awkward for me. I would go for the 3VK again, were it to do over, even if the money was equal. Good luck.
JH

Damn that Rambaudi is nice. Ran one in training many years ago. Regret not buying the one the Canadian military was selling off in Sask years ago.

OP is a lucky guy!

L7

Back