What's new
What's new

Acer knee mill spindle lube question

ripperj

Stainless
I have a Acer knee mill with very few hours, but recently have been getting bad finishes, seemed like a bearing problem despite faithful oiling with Velocite #6.
I took the spindle out to replace the bearings with a kit from H+W.
The upper bearing was sealed(not shielded) . I thought oil was supposed to flow from oil cup thru the upper (non-precision) bearing down to the two lower ABEC 7 bearings? Not sure where the oil I was putting in was going, I would routinely see clean spindle oil on the table under the spindle, but the two lower spindle bearings just had original grease and no oil. I oil all three cups every day.

Can someone confirm this cup under the Hi:low gear lever is for the spindle bearings( and flow is like I described?)
Thanks!
cb4d8041a2ad76382e1cc41723c690b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What does this cup (up high center) lube? The manual is useless.
17de91fd7e8bf265004a8bc2fbe54501.jpg

Nobody? I think it’s identical to a Bridgeport

If it is like a Bridgeport then you can have sealed bearings that require no lubrication or, as installed by Bridgeport, open race bearings that do require lubrication. With the open race bearings oil is applied to the spindle lubrication gits cup and the oil will travel down through all three bearings and end up on the table, a total loss oil system.

Vlad

The problem with mine was the two lower bearings were open, but the upper was sealed, so no oil could get down to them

Ripperj: I bought my 3VK from J & L when they were still a separate entity, about 22 years ago. I oil mine just like yours about once a week with normal use. I see the drips like you, but never had any problems. Never even had to adjust any gibs, although I realize that is a separate part of the machine. Good machine, would not hesitate to buy another.

JH

JH

good to know it should last a while, I really like mine

To answer your question: The cup on the right is for the spindle - but this assumes bearings that are open and NOT GREASED - or at least that is my understanding. No doubt someone will correct me if wrong!

The one in the middle of the head is to lubricate the powerfeed mechanism.

Hey thanks!
I figured out why bearings failed, the upper sealed bearing , along with a misaligned oil tube off the spindle oil cup( doesn’t use pipe cleaner like BP)
Pretty much ensures no oil to lower bearing. All good now. I ordered open bearings, if the upper is sealed I will pop out the seals and remove the grease

Back