What's new
What's new

Acer Ultima quill movement

swamp dweller

Cast Iron
:confused:We have an Acer Ultima II vertical mill with an Anilam 1400m controller. We have been having some issues with holding sizes in Z. The Z axis is attached to the quill (supposed to be ballscrews and servos), but if you grab the quill by hand you can push or pull it up or down enough to move an attached indicator up to .008. This doesn't seem right! We bought this machine used about a year ago and have had no trouble with it except the cable that got damaged during shipping. The shipping company replaced that. Of course we didn't get any manuals or other info on the machine when we bought it.
Any ideas?:willy_nilly:

There should be 2 bolts that attach to the quill that attach to the servo motor via a belt/cog mechanism. Sounds like they could be loose. I'd start there and verify that they are tight. The quill is free floating if those are not attached.

Tom

I love this site! I got a reply before I could take a look at the machine. I could only find one bolt between the ball screw assembly and the quill and it was indeed loose. Cut the manual movement down to .001 and a .001 move in the control =.001 on the indicator.
Thanks Tom :D

No Problem.

Some machines have one bolt to the quill, others have two. The Trak mill I use has two. This prevents what you had of the bolt loosing up. The down side is that I lose another inch of z travel.

Tom

Under the top cover on the aluminum housing there is also a nut you can tighten a little if the tapered roller bearings up there are not preloaded enough and are allowing the ballscrew to move up and down a little.

Back