What's new
What's new

Acheiving least deformation after heat treating?

asid61

Plastic
What is a tool steel that deforms the least after heat treating? I know A2 would be fine, but that's about it.
I don't have a grinder that can fit the contour I'm grinding (gear tooth shape) so I need a tool steel that won't deform too much. Tolerances on the gear are not really important (maybe grade 7 or 8) but it does need to be made of some kind of hardened tool steel. I need to make these on demand for a local high school robotics team so I can't really outsource it. They're lenient on the material though.

You don't say how hard you need these- but if distortion is your main concern- consider making them from 17-4. Buy it in the annealed condition, machine your parts and then heat treat them to the H900 condition. This is a low temperature heat treatment at 900 deg f with air quench and the parts will be about 42 Rc with almost no growth or distortion.

Last edited:
The 8620 will have to be carburized before hardening. Not what I'd consider suitable for short run, low budget activities. I'd be another vote for 17-4. But has someone actually ran the numbers to know hardened gears are needed, or did they just think they sounded better?

In australia I get m238 (trademark name I think) from a local supplier and get it vacuum hardened. Distortion is minimal. Can't remember exact hardness off the top of my head.

You don't say how hard you need these- but if distortion is your main concern- consider making them from 17-4. Buy it in the annealed condition, machine your parts and then heat treat them to the H900 condition. This is a low temperature heat treatment at 900 deg f with air quench and the parts will be about 42 Rc with almost no growth or distortion.

This. Dan's on the money.

Another approach is nitriding using Nitralloy 135M. 1025-degree process without a sudden quench; leaves teeth straight with a super-hard wearing surface. One more is nitrocarburizing (not carbonitriding or carburizing). It can be used with 8620, 9310, 41*0 and 43*0 steels. …just mentioning these (I like the one above for simplicity).

--david

The 8620 will have to be carburized before hardening. Not what I'd consider suitable for short run, low budget activities. I'd be another vote for 17-4. But has someone actually ran the numbers to know hardened gears are needed, or did they just think they sounded better?

I know it will need to be carburized, so I'm leaning towards 17-4 right now.
They apparently ran the numbers and decided they needed really, really hard gears. 17-4 will be all right according to them.

@18my I'll give 4340 a go.

asid61 - I've got a little experience with Robotics Teams and making Gears for them. Given the fact that the tolerances are not that high and they're fine with 42HRC I'd be inclined to believe that they really don't need much at all. You might want to dig a little deeper and them - and yourself - some time, effort, and cost. Even the College projects don't really need that much, usually. Just a suggestion.

Back