What's new
What's new

Acme Gridley 6 Spindle Screw Machine Questions

brandon01

Plastic
Can it control the degree of rotation of its spindles? I need 6 holes equally spaced(60 degrees) around my work peice. Live tooling is available. Can this be done on this screw machine?

If this is a regular acme , no. The spindles are all driven by a common central gear. Some of the chuckers, like an RPA-6, have an option of stopping a spindle using a clutch and brake so if you got real creative, you may be able to modify one to index the spindle.
HSC models do nt have the clutch/brake.

Because these guys can do the job. I used to give quotes all the time and never got the job he might get some new idea's by asking questions about the job. Whats your problem today? Get off the wrong side of the bed?

I used to rebuild Acme's and what he is wanting to do would cost him 10 times more money plus finding a sec operation then finding another shop machines like an Swiss Index. He can call any other screw machine houses if they are any left around. I just used these guys as an example!

MI shops:
Precision Swiss Machining Services | E.J. Basler

Berkley Screw Machine

Your best bet for trying this on a cam type multi-spindle would be to ask Wheeler Tool.

Wheeler Tool Company ...Products

They doo make attachments like you are looking for.
I've seen 4 place units advertised, but 6 may be doo-able - depending on your size maybe.

This would be a revolving unit and would not need spindle stopping.
For this to work, you need to have a way oversized machine to accommodate the massive tooling.

It works like a rotary slitting attachment on a Davenport - if you are familiar with that...
Driven via the pick-off gear.

My guess is maybe a $20,000 attachment (more?) and maybe a 2-5/8 capacity machine to make a 1" part?
But yes - it can be done.

I don't follow General board much, but Douglas pinged me.

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Thanks for the help guys, but I have a multi spindle Index that I think will be more cost effective.

Back