What's new
What's new

Adapting a chuck to an A1-5 spindle

rbmgf7

Aluminum
You'll have to excuse me as I am not a whizz with lathes. I did use one while going to school but it was the cam-lock style and everything was there to make chips.

I picked up a lathe for my home and it has what I measure to be an A1-5 tapered spindle nose. Seller tossed in a 8" Buck chuck that was on an indexer for a mill. I popped the chuck off but now I have to make a backplate.

I'm having issues finding a reasonably priced semi-machined backplate in my taper size. I found one on a retail site but turned out to be discontinued. I don't have any other machines to make one from scratch. Wondering if someone can lead me into a direction on how to get a chuck mounted to this machine? Thanks.

A1 are rarer than rocking horse, will a A2 not work and simply have spare holes?

FYI if you find a cheap source im after a A2-4,

If I'm reading the diagrams right, I can use an A2-5 taper? I just lose the inner tapped holes, correct?

If I'm reading the diagrams right, I can use an A2-5 taper? I just lose the inner tapped holes, correct?

Chuck will have drilled and counter bored holes - those are the ones the adapter has to have as tapped holes

Adapter also has to have drilled and counter bored holes that use tapped holes in spindle flange

I found a company called Small Tools Inc that has them.

Apparently all of the Bison numbers I was referencing are discontinued but a company called TMX makes them now.

Back