Adjustable parallels with radiused edges. Can you suggest a set for over 1" range? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's a couple links right here on PM. Take your time.

Parallel hole gauges

Brown and Sharpe tapered measuring tools

Brown and Sharpe tool what is it?

As I posted earlier I have several sets of adjustable parallels constructed as you describe, that is not in question. I don't know of a source of them with radiused edges, that's the issue, and that's not how the B&S gages discussed here are constructed.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    Here's a couple links right here on PM. Take your time.

Parallel hole gauges

Brown and Sharpe tapered measuring tools

Brown and Sharpe tool what is it?

As I posted earlier I have several sets of adjustable parallels constructed as you describe, that is not in question. I don't know of a source of them with radiused edges, that's the issue, and that's not how the B&S gages discussed here are constructed.
    You are still confused, and I am tired. Some other year, yah?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Why are you going against such a widespread history over "factory mated" adjustable parallels?
    You have a set of "weird ones" - mebbe held together by magnetism? Or witchcraft?

Surely SOMETHING prevents those side-stepping or going off at odd angles like a stack of wrung gage blocks done careless-like?
    Bill, you need to address your "going against" to Brown and Sharpe who made the #672 parts. If they are "weird ones", they are at least weird ones produced by a prominent maker of metrology tools and gages.

And no, nothing prevents them from side stepping. That was the point of the question I asked Mud, and he gave a clear, unambiguous answer. Said answer being backed up by the B&S catalog page and by various machine shop texts of the appropriate vintage.

I have indeed learned something, as these were new to me. Perhaps you could be just slightly more open-minded about this, given that we now have multiple photos of the actual, tangible items and not a mere design concept.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sfriedberg View Post
    Bill, you need to address your "going against" to Brown and Sharpe who made the #672 parts. If they are "weird ones", they are at least weird ones produced by a prominent maker of metrology tools and gages.

And no, nothing prevents them from side stepping. That was the point of the question I asked Mud, and he gave a clear, unambiguous answer. Said answer being backed up by the B&S catalog page and by various machine shop texts of the appropriate vintage.

I have indeed learned something, as these were new to me. Perhaps you could be just slightly more open-minded about this, given that we now have multiple photos of the actual, tangible items and not a mere design concept.
    I happen to revere B&S, was never a Starrett serf.

But those would be FAR too much like work to me for actual use. I can understand them being eBay'ed and keeping a Kennedy drawer from going empty in the hands of the new packrat.

Everything comparable under roof HERE, recent Chinese to ancient "Other US maker" DOES have one form or another of built-in alignment mechanism. I don't have three hands, nor a prehensile putz, and duct tape or external clamping is a pain in the anatomy.

That's all. It ain't religion.

Y'all do whatever suits YOUR needs ,'coz I have a decent range of inside mics, and bore gages, too, so do not really have any issue in the first place, anything between gage-pin set size and about .... 40 or 42 inches?

We are, after all getting SILLY over this edge-case "stuff" that may not even be the best tool for the tasking, if even it is worth any effort as to trying to modify it to work AT ALL, yah?

"Open mind" I can dig. Just not SO "open" casual drafts of armchair theory about borderline useless tooling fossils blow through it at random!

Bit late to convince B&S of anything much, BTW.

If one cudda done "Run your business and employee relations better, and you won't have to be sold-off to the Swedes to avoid outright liquidation!" might have been on my list.

Not that Hexagon is a BAD "Mothership" as Companies go. Just that B&S ain't the same, no more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    You are still confused, and I am tired. Some other year, yah?
    No I'm not buying tired, your supply of BS has so far been clearly inexhaustible. No I'm not confused, everyone in this thread gets it except you. But If you wish to step out this way to save face, be my guest.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    No I'm not buying tired, your supply of BS has so far been clearly inexhaustible. No I'm not confused, everyone in this thread gets it except you. But If you wish to step out this way to save face, be my guest.
    Far too easy, you put it that way. I may need a nap, but "time will tell".

Meanwhile back in the "real world" here's a minor challenge for you.

Just go and TRY LIKE HELL to even FIND an adjustable parallel - or set-of - from any of present-day B&S/Hexagon, Starrett, or older B&S and Starrett, Lufkin, Taft-Pierce, any vintage of European, Chinese or Inja, that ta da does NOT have guide rails of some kind.

You might have trouble finding another set of what you CLAIM are "unguided". We haven't actually been given sight of their mating edges, several requests notwithstanding. But if that isn't just "bullshit", was that the word?

They may have gone scarce because.. they were a failure in the marketplace up against the easier use of all those OTHER players who did and still DO have guide rails.

No foul, I'm a happy man.

Whilst myself trying - sorry.. failed at it - to find even one maker with NO rails, just tripped-over a nice set - with rails, of course - of NOS Lufkins in original packaging for $24.99, and bought them! Dups, but so what? Couldn't resist the price!

So I'd call this a useful thread, after all!

Dirt-common Starretts - another of those "design concept only" companies that never actually existed, I gave a miss. Contrarian buggers also used guide rails. Go figure:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dirt-common.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Locktite a pair of the B&S radius parallels to a Starrett adjustable parallel to extend the range beyond 1".
    It also eliminates the need for 3 hands sub 1".

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MCMLXIX View Post
    Locktite a pair of the B&S radius parallels to a Starrett adjustable parallel to extend the range beyond 1".
    It also eliminates the need for 3 hands sub 1".
    Ground rod - as previously suggested - is already in the box at least as drill blanks. Plenty of adhesives about as can be easily removed, later. It's for measuring, not changing a tire.

Someone kindly wind up the clockworks spring and we can go round in circles again, bitch slaps freshened if you please. Old ones recycled get boring!

I'm sneaking off to make a shrimp curry.

Not suggesting anyone pound sand, I actually LIKE you fractious lot.

But.. y'know those radiused edges?

Wonder how comfortable they might be on flexible bores. A bit of "side step" could be a reaaaaaal blessing, yah?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Never used these. I have used telescoping gages and more accurate ID mics checking several spots into the bore to check for taper. It has worked well for me with a variety of fits.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When did a short, simple, direct and unmentioned answer to the OP's question become a circle?
    The OP has a set of the B&S radius parallels.
    So already in the box.
    A flat surface and appropriate adhesive is all that is needed to combine the B&S with a Starrett adjustable to extend the range.
    Makes both sets more versatile.
    No need for grinding , milling, fabricating or permanent altercation required.
    Bragging about bitch slapping or your flexible bore does not get the job done.

11. Likes sfriedberg liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post
    Never used these. I have used telescoping gages and more accurate ID mics checking several spots into the bore to check for taper. It has worked well for me with a variety of fits.
    Use adjustable parallels very rarely meself. Just enough to not have the problem others are still more interested in scoring argument points over than just finishing the tasking.

But the "real reason" is much the same. More appropriate metrology was actually in the box many years ahead of them. First inside mic set bought new 1960 or thereabouts, IIRC. More since. Cheaper stuff already there. The new Flexbar Indicals I bought two of from the OEM more recently were really just because I expected them to soon go out of production! There is so much in the way of neat electronic gaging out there already, few would want the bother of even prepping the old standbys for use. Those are actually a bit of a nuisance.. unless you have nothing else. Then you could kiss them "goodnight" as the job is done and they go back in the drawer, perhaps for years.

That said, I don't want to start to throw money at chasing electronics precisely because there IS so much more of it than the budget can stand! A little "nuisance" can go a long way, and on the cheap, too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The B&S radiused parallels are, in fact, quite comfortable in use. They are wide enough and not too tall to remain perfectly stable in small bores. And they're used in different combinations rather than by fixed pairs like "the regular" interconnected parallels.

The idea to use a non-adjustable or adjustable parallel between those B&S ones is good indeed. I thought about it initially, but couldn't decide what to use to make the arrangement stable, easy to use and quick in assembly and disassembly. The difference in thicknesses didn't make it easier either. Therefore I started searching for ready solutions or a less painful way to convert regular adjustable parallels.

I still wonder where all those rounded parallels mentioned in the old texts are. It's hard to believe that they simply vanished without a trace. Yet I've neither seen one of those nor knew what companies manufactured them. I still hope one of our old timers will solve the mystery. Meanwhile, please keep good ideas coming.

P.S. I'm perfectly aware that there are many more modern and precise methods of bore measurements available, and I own and use a few different tools of those types. I started the thread only do discuss the rounded parallels, and not what's better, more modern or precise.

Thank you guys.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
    searching for ready solutions or a less painful way to convert regular adjustable parallels.
    Some of that should be readily side-stepped with a "fix attached" set that has enough of the right sizes to cover all your target bores without need of supplementary spacers at all.A one-time project to attach ground rod, or vees to the existing flat-topped set, and done for a long time.

I still wonder where all those rounded parallels mentioned in the old texts are. It's hard to believe that they simply vanished without a trace. Yet I've neither seen one of those nor knew what companies manufactured them. I still hope one of our old timers will solve the mystery. Meanwhile, please keep good ideas coming.
    As said, the "usual suspect" is the age of steam. Not much else was so long as large a need, then was as sharply bypassed by even greater markets and THEIR tooling and metrology needs.

It wasn't unique. Day job's parent, Food Machinery Corp built some of the oddest looking food processers ever seen and initiay powered by MOPAR 360 V8's. So, too Cadillac Gage as to metrology systems, also with tracks on them. For negotiating soft Earth, in this case!