What's new
What's new

Ads placed on my Youtube videos without my consent?

slowmotion

Cast Iron
On one (at least) of my Youtube videos there is suddenly an ad that I did not request. None of my videos have ads, I don't want them, don't know how to make one. I tried to email Youtube but it's like they don't want you to contact them, shocker. Has anyone had this problem and actually gotten through to them?

I think the recent change of terms of service allows them to monetize (put ads on) any video

(I don't put stuff on YouTube so don't really know what I'm talking about)

On one (at least) of my Youtube videos there is suddenly an ad that I did not request. None of my videos have ads, I don't want them, don't know how to make one. I tried to email Youtube but it's like they don't want you to contact them, shocker. Has anyone had this problem and actually gotten through to them?

Someone's gotta make enough money to provide the "free" service to you.

All I can suggest is recommending ad blockers to folks.

I don't know when the last time I saw a YouTube ad was. Must've been 8 years ago? 10? I said enough is enough as soon as they came out with embedded ads instead of relatively unobtrusive static images. Long time ago.

Adblock Plus | The world's #1 free ad blocker
uBlock Origin - Free, open-source ad content blocker.

Yeah but now they run videos before the video and during the video

I have been adblocking for I dunno how long

All I can suggest is recommending ad blockers to folks.

I don't know when the last time I saw a YouTube ad was. Must've been 8 years ago? 10? I said enough is enough as soon as they came out with embedded ads instead of relatively unobtrusive static images. Long time ago.

Adblock Plus | The world's #1 free ad blocker
uBlock Origin - Free, open-source ad content blocker.

Also more recently they've been pushing for content creators to make more short videos to compete with TicToc I guess. I hate it because my recommendations is getting flooded with these worthless 5-30 second clips, Google loves it because they can shove in more ads. I couldn't imagine using youtube with out an ad-block to be stuck watching a 30 second ad for a 5 second clip. It's why I never use the youtube application on my phone.

Magic Actions extension for Chrome/Firefox. It blocks everything on YouTube and you can change settings. I've been using it for years.
Haven't seen an ad on YT since.

Not addressing the OP's problem, but if you watch a lot of youtube videos, and want them ad free, you can pay for youtube "premium" and never see another ad again. I did, and it's well worth it to me for watching long videos, especially music concerts. I get that people are accustomed to getting online content free and resent monetization, but that's pretty much unavoidable in a capitalist marketplace. Gotta pay the piper...

Reminds me of Cable TV back in the day...when it first came out the hooked you by advertising "Commercial free" Now when you turn on a non premium cable channel there's about 15 minutes of show between all the commercials. I gotta stop watching YouTube vids now that they stopped allowing you to skip ads. The last video I watched on YouTube, the ad was in Spanish

Gotta pay the piper...

Unless the piper is Google and other social media monopolies who have grown far too big for their britches.

Believe you me, they'll get paid at the end of the day whether you help them or not. Paying into their premium service is just icing their cake for them.

These corporations live and work in luxury. Ever wandered around inside of an insurance campus? Money, money, money... and it all comes from *you*. Multi-million dollar cafeterias... indoor shopping malls... lounge areas with sky lights and entire walls covered in live foliage... luxury accoutrements all around. And I'm not even talking Silicon Valley.

Fat cats if ever there were any.

Question one is how much did you pay YouTube to host your video?
If one paid good solid dollars for advertising or space I can see a compliant.
If it was free one can not really whine. Somewhere and somehow this has to pay somebody for this service.
Do you machine parts for people at no charge?
Bob

Question one is how much did you pay YouTube to host your video?
If one paid good solid dollars for advertising or space I can see a compliant.
If it was free one can not really whine. Somewhere and somehow this has to pay somebody for this service.
Do you machine parts for people at no charge?
Bob

Enjoy your advertisements every 7 minutes.

I am ok with ads as long as there isn't a boatload of them or they are selling products that have little to no value, plus I cannot stand all those ambulance chasing lawyer ads on TV. As for no value, there seems to be a lot of miracles cures for pain and it comes with the scam that you have to take it for 3 months to get it to work. The we have the auto warranty policies that whose advertisers are using celebrity pitchmen and just acting as brokers. That should be a big clue how worthless they are.

Back