Default Advice/Help Needed For New Lathe Purchase

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    WoW ...46 post's and your telling us ?

Yes, many have run off the rails with the OP's posting, suggesting
    stuff that may or may not work.

However I am waiting to see the exact details needed to be machined before
    I will suggest something.

So what have you done to help the OP ?
    I havenít said anything to the OP because I donít have anything to add.

Iím just rather amazed by how harsh some comments are.

(Will a high post count allow me to be rude too?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes Hopefuldave, 9100 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR8 View Post
    I havenít said anything to the OP because I donít have anything to add.

Iím just rather amazed by how harsh some comments are.

(Will a high post count allow me to be rude too?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nah, you can be just as rude from the bottom of the post pile as the top...

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    However I am waiting to see the exact details needed to be machined before I will suggest something.
    Yeah, you're holding that 2AB suggestion in reserve

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    Yes, it's a given a used machine is a must. When you want to drink champagne on a beer budget, you might have to drink used champagne.
    Eewwww! USED champagne... there was an eBay add a few years ago for used cookies....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by loosenut View Post
    With my limited knowledge, I understand it would be ideal to have a 2" bore and be able to run full bars.
    I think a lot of people in your situation end up buying what they can find that is reasonably priced in their local area. If you find a lathe locally that is for sale, see if they will let you try machining a peg on it before you buy it.

You mention running 'full bars'. I hope that you're aware of the dangers of putting a long bar in a lathe!

YouTube

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm about as far from a machinist as you can get, but here's my take on it:

If this is a business, what is your sale price for a set of pegs and how much does it currently cost you to have them made, anodised, wrapped, packed and shipped. Divide $5000 by the difference in those two sums. That is how many sets of pegs you would need to make to break even on your capital investment. If that number is more than you sell in two or three years and you have no other pending products that would use that equipment, I'd suggest getting some quotes in the RFQ (?) sub-forum and see how the sums compare. Note that this doesn't take into account tax treatment of equipment or the amount of time it would take to get up and running or materials cost or the cost of your time (or a bunch of other things I haven't thought of).

If it's a hobby, then that's a completely different kettle of fish.

8. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello all... back from the weekend.

I believe it's safe to say that I consider myself schooled. It's clear that the overwhelming majority of machinists here believe the route to take within my budget is finding a used lathe. I spent some nights looking over eBay's "sold" section and found it very interesting. I found many of the brands recommended by you guys and many of the "sold" lathes were in obvious good condition (obvious even to someone like me with little knowledge on the equipment). I also found it fascinating how many lathes are for sale... 1000 times more than say.. vintage table saws or band saws, etc. And, low and behold, many are well within reach of my budget.

So, I'm going to start hunting for a used lathe and be back to ask questions concerning features and models. I know you guys will help and that is much appreciated.

Thanks again for all the advice. Sometimes it's tough to be told what you don't want to hear.. but, I prefer not to learn the hard way!

-Braden

10. Likes eKretz, Terry Keeley liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by loosenut View Post
    Hello all... back from the weekend.

I believe it's safe to say that I consider myself schooled. It's clear that the overwhelming majority of machinists here believe the route to take within my budget is finding a used lathe. I spent some nights looking over eBay's "sold" section and found it very interesting. I found many of the brands recommended by you guys and many of the "sold" lathes were in obvious good condition (obvious even to someone like me with little knowledge on the equipment). I also found it fascinating how many lathes are for sale... 1000 times more than say.. vintage table saws or band saws, etc. And, low and behold, many are well within reach of my budget.

So, I'm going to start hunting for a used lathe and be back to ask questions concerning features and models. I know you guys will help and that is much appreciated.

Thanks again for all the advice. Sometimes it's tough to be told what you don't want to hear.. but, I prefer not to learn the hard way!

-Braden

There ya go, you're already way ahead of the game. You didn't go for the Big Shiny New Greeen Bear!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Agree with W&S #3 lathe recommendation

Braden,

Whole heartedly agree with Post #16 recommending #3 Warner & Swasey lathe for your application.
    Here is a youtube link showing a #3 in action to give you an idea of size, operation, and capabilities.

YouTube

(if the link doesn't work, just search on youtube for Warner & Swasey #3 Lathe Work)

I've been retired for a number of years from high production shop....70+ National Acme screw machines and 25 B&S screw machines. We used to run 2 W&S turret lathes...old, but very capabable for certain types of work. One fairly high volume job was to machine ends of specialized aluminum umbrella poles and some other aluminum telescoping tubes. Knurling was required. I forget, but we may have used the largest Brown & Sharpe knurl holder tool that went up to 2" capacity. It may not give you the ability to give you the length of knurl you require. Attached is B&S chart for their knurling toolholders that are mounted in the turret. You may need a cross-slide holder.

No. 185 Adjustable Knurl Holders - Brown-Sharpe SMT

Good luck!!