What's new
What's new

Advice/procedure for replacing/adjusting belt on harbor Freight Mini Lathe 93212

Status
Not open for further replies.

psnorton

Plastic
Hi All,
I tried to search for an answer but suspect this may be below the level of knowledge usually displayed here.
I'm new to this so please be gentle...

I picked up a mini lathe (used) and have been playing with getting it setup and testing it out.

I noticed it was slipping occasionally and I found the belt was just loose.
I also found the teeth on the belt and pulleys wearing, maybe it's just age but I want to replace them.

I broke it down to get to the belt and tighten it up... but the adjustment system is not logical although it seems like it is at first glance.

I started by loosening the adjustment screws and trying to move the motor down to add some tension per the instructions.
This got the tension right, but then as I tighten the screws the motor seems to twist and noses up/down causing belt misalignment.

At one point I thought i had it dead on, but then when I went to tighten the 2 strews that just push against the motor (this makes sense if you have one), everything got jacked up.

Is there a correct way to do this and stop the motor from twisting?

Or am I over thinking the belt alignment and I just need to get the tension right and the cover will keep the belt in place?

...I do have replacement belts and pulleys but want to make sure I have the procedure right before I put them on as I do not want to destroy the new parts!

thanks

Hi All,
I tried to search for an answer but suspect this may be below the level of knowledge usually displayed here.

I picked up a mini lathe (used) and have been playing with getting it setup and testing it out.

I also found the teeth on the belt and pulleys wearing, maybe it's just age but I want to replace them.

I broke it down to get to the belt and tighten it up... but the adjustment system is not logical although it seems like it is at first glance.

I started by loosening the adjustment screws and trying to move the motor down to add some tension per the instructions.
This got the tension right, but then as I tighten the screws the motor seems to twist and noses up/down causing belt misalignment.

At one point I thought i had it dead on, but then when I went to tighten the 2 strews that just push against the motor (this makes sense if you have one), everything got jacked up.

Or am I over thinking the belt alignment and I just need to get the tension right and the cover will keep the belt in place?

...I do have replacement belts and pulleys but want to make sure I have the procedure right before I put them on as I do not want to destroy the new parts!

thanks

It's been covered before over here...hobby-machinist.com

Machinery Discussion Guidelines

Don't get "Butt Hurt".
Motley Crue - Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go) - YouTube

Hi All,

thanks

You can fuck right off

Look for things like 7 x 10 minilathe mods, repairs, etc.

Tons of them around carrying different brands but virtually the same toy.

If it's been done to one of them someone has posted a video or details somewhere.

I'm pretty sure he was trying to say that his question was too basic, and that we usually dealt with more complex, high-level stuff. But it could have been phrased better...

Good luck to the OP, for sure there are better places to look for help.

Problem is, HF just doesn't make em like they used to... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back