What's new
What's new

Hardinge relocating offshore machine manufacturing to Elmira, NY

I hope this works out for them. To me, at least part of the effort will be maintaining employee engagement in "quality ethos", if they can maintain that they should put out good products.

At least Hardinge has a history of such work, should be easier for them than if they were a new venture.

Why would anyone want to increase the size of their business in New York State ???

Also, after Jan 20, that ship will get sent right to china....

Good question. Surprised to see this in the local paper this morning. After the auction clean out of the machine division, the thousands of sq feet of floor space where they used to build machines was empty. But what does this really mean? Are they going to do more extensive assembling, or actual machining of castings and bar/plate manufactured components? Time will tell.

Why would anyone want to increase the size of their business in New York State ???

Also, after Jan 20, that ship will get sent right to china....

Good question. Surprised to see this in the local paper this morning. After the auction clean out of the machine division, the thousands of sq feet of floor space where they used to build machines was empty. But what does this really mean? Are they going to do more extensive assembling, or actual machining of castings and bar/plate manufactured components? Time will tell.

They certainly won't be hiring back all the old employees....got to have NEW !
SMART ! TEMPORARY ! employees.....

Think maybe they are getting concerned about Taiwan's problem with China?
Taiwan doesn't have a problem with China, just about every company of any size in Taiwan has facilities on the mainland. Much of Taiwan's production is done on the mainland, then trans-shipped.

I'm speculating Hardinge sold that plant or they weren't making any money there and now they will downsize back to the US. New owner makes the pieces, ships to Elmira for assembly. Spin.

Makes you guys happy tho. When there's the truth and a story, print the story.

From ambush, hidden across the alley .... pompey, throw me that rifle.

I would be very skeptical of any company and its motivations that would move into New York. There are many more genuine, hospitable environments throughout the country to better reestablish a move back to US manufacturing in. We have seen this time and again as corporations flee the high tax structures.

In this case, as in many, in NY follow the money. There are tax breaks and incentives by the truck load here…

For example, The Buffalo Billion…every penny is tax payer money one way or another. This, in part, was supposed to be a solar panel manufacturing facility (the irony of solar panels in Buffalo is real) to reinvigorate Buffalo with “thousands” of manufacturing jobs. Years later, after a lot of construction, and even more promises of grandeur, there aren’t enough cars there is this morning to fill a 7-11 parking lot. The next time I drive by there I’ll post a picture.

A lot of palms get greased with tax payer dollars before anything can happen in NY. This is no different, nothing happens without Cuomo getting his cut. That is a cut of tax payer dollars…which will come in handy with his lofty aspirations. He can bring the New York “prosperity” for the entire country to enjoy…

A bit of history trivia: Elmira had a large POW camp during the Civil War that was..uh...not the most pleasant place. It was known as "Hellmira" in the South.

Might still be true today? :D

wippinboy must've missed the first part.....
It's Krugman, but sometimes he's on the money. He was critical of Obama quite often, by the way. You don't have to agree with him* but he's not a stooge.

*In fact, I think a lot of conventional economics is fantasy-based, since their fixation on 'growth' is nothing but a giant Ponzi scheme. The planet is not infinite. But whatever ...

OK, here is a company that is pulling at the least SOME production back FROM offshore.

And whadda we get here? You all saying IT'S FAKE NEWS

Questioning motivations, poking holes in the idea, claiming there is something wrong.

OK, I get it, you think it would be a lot better if they were moving that production TO your good buddies in china, instead of FROM china.

Well, I have to say I disagree with you. I like it a lot better when production is moved back here and employs Americans. Sorry you do not feel the same.

When are you folks moving over there?

OK, here is a company that is pulling at the least SOME production back FROM offshore.

And whadda we get here? You all saying IT'S FAKE NEWS

Questioning motivations, poking holes in the idea, claiming there is something wrong.

OK, I get it, you think it would be a lot better if they were moving that production TO your good buddies in china, instead of FROM china.

Well, I have to say I disagree with you. I like it a lot better when production is moved back here and employs Americans. Sorry you do not feel the same.

I don't think you understand.....Have you been to NYS in the past few years ?
Or live within 20 miles of it ?

Did you not recall what happened with Amazon ?

The Simpsons - Upstate New York (Song) - YouTube

Funny, but very true.
Or:
Top 10 WORST towns in New York State. No need for sunscreen most the year. - YouTube

Already did. Just came back from dinner at a little japanesy place on yuyuan lu, only place open nearby after ten, packed. Some hot stuff in there, too. Woo. Almost got caught looking a few times, gotta learn to be more careful.

You know what ? this city is okay. They've done a bangup job with the place. Maybe if you guys spent a little more at home and a little less trying to rule the world, you could catch up.

Maybe.

p.s. read the article. It doesn't say doodly about actually making machines. It talks about assembly. BFD.

Better than nothing I guess but not what the press is peddling.

Back