What's new
What's new

Air Compressor ID and possible uses?

Chelonian

Plastic
Hi, A while ago I saw this air compressor for free, and couldn't resist taking it home and restoring it. It was in what looked to be a really bad condition when I got it (hence the reason it was free) but it did clean up rather nicely in the end and now runs very well. Is this something someone made themselves, or do you think it was sold as a product? There are no markings on the piece, and it's all aluminum exept for the compression cylander, which is steel.

Also, what could it have been used for? It doesn't produce a whole lot of air, and it has a strange three-way splitter on the air output. If there are any other photo angles that would be helpful, I'd be happy to get them for you.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Compressor.jpg
    Compressor.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 191
  • Compressor2.jpg
    Compressor2.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 187
Shop built one off for sure. Probably the only person that knows the whats and whys is the original builder.

High school shop project would be my guess... Or a home shop guy getting his rocks off...

I love stuff like that.. I'd pick that up at a flea market for $20 in a second, and put it
on my pile of interesting machine related things. I probably wouldn't even ever try to use it.

Is the bearing block a casting? It looks similar to a steam engine kit my dad machined and assembled in the 1940's? On his the vertical cylinder pivoted to open and close the valves.

Is the bearing block a casting? It looks similar to a steam engine kit my dad machined and assembled in the 1940's? On his the vertical cylinder pivoted to open and close the valves.

If I'm looking at the right thing, I'm pretty sure its machined like all the other parts.

Back