What's new
What's new

Air Compressor Regulator?

parshal

Aluminum
I figure someone here will have dealt with this before. I have a new IR Garage Mate 20 gallon compressor. I've been using it mostly with the air nozzle to blow out chips but used it today with an airbrush applying cerakote. I set the regulator to 25 psi and starting painting and within a minute there was no pressure and the compressor had not kicked in. The tank air was over 120 psi and regulator was reading 0. I turned the regulator back to 25 and the same thing happened again. During troubleshooting, I used a 25' 3/8" with a 1/4" adapter to an air gun. It seems no matter what I set the regulator to the pressure drops by half or more. When I stop discharging air it will rise back to about half of that but not where it's set.

All the threads I've read talk are from people running theirs at much higher pressure than my measly 25 psi. I figured the thing would run for 15 minutes or more at stay at 25 psi before the motor would kick in but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I talked to IR support and they're sending me a new regulator "hoping" that's the issue. Anybody have other ideas?

I think you're over analyzing it. Simply stated, the regulator should maintain the pressure that it has been set to. If it doesn't do that then the regulator is NFG. That's it! So many things today (most) are made across the ocean, and some of the most bizarre things pass right through quality control and into the shipping container.

Stuart

Buy a decent regualtor, even the good copes work well. Cheap OEM compressor regulators are normally crap. You want Festo Noregen or similar, expect to pay a good £50 and go at least 3/8" size and step down if your using std 1/4" pipe fittings and you will have great air supply.

The stock one that came on the IR. They're sending me a replacement of the same one.

Ultimately the brand shouldn't matter if the thing works how it should. The one you received was defective..regardless of where it was made. I just bought a solenoid valve and combo regulator/filter from Automation Direct. The were both NITRA brand..Chinese, but they look nice and should work fine..but, they might not!

Your replacement will certainly work perfectly..the first was probably made Friday night, in Hangchow, and you know what happens Friday night in Hangchow!!

If you don't know what happens on a Friday in Hangchow, just ask Therm-Monarchist..he'll know for sure!:eek:

Stuart

Ultimately the brand shouldn't matter if the thing works how it should. The one you received was defective..regardless of where it was made. I just bought a solenoid valve and combo regulator/filter from Automation Direct. The were both NITRA brand..Chinese, but they look nice and should work fine..but, they might not!

Your replacement will certainly work perfectly..the first was probably made Friday night, in Hangchow, and you know what happens Friday night in Hangchow!!

If you don't know what happens on a Friday in Hangchow, just ask Therm-Monarchist..he'll know for sure!:eek:

Stuart

if the guy is asking "good ones?" then the brand makes a difference.

It just has NPT-B (to the best I could see in the cramped area) stamped on the back. Nothing anywhere else on the body or gauge face.

if the guy is asking "good ones?" then the brand makes a difference.

Sure it does. He bought a IR compressor..great American brand..but the IR site says the pump is made in Taiwan. The stuff tagged onto his offshore pump is most certainly made in China. "Good stuff" is a total crap-shoot in this day and age!

Stuart

I'm holding the new regulator in my hand. They actually sent it UPS overnight. Part number 23192529. They only markings on it are NPT-B on the backside.

I'd be interested in hearing about other better options.

Sure it does. He bought a IR compressor..great American brand..but the IR site says the pump is made in Taiwan. The stuff tagged onto his offshore pump is most certainly made in China. "Good stuff" is a total crap-shoot in this day and age!

Stuart

Not if you know what you are doing!

Is there a water trap after the compressor before the regulator. Any time you're doing more than blowing chips you need to get rid of the moisture/water that will come through the line-- especially when painting or using air tools. Water destroys tools and kills paint finish(unless it's waterbased).

Typically..NPT would mean National Pipe Thread, and is only a designation as to the type of connection..sort of strange to put that on the regulator unless the manufacturer wasn't world wise..China! I sure would try it, it will probably work just fine for a long time.:)

This is a link to a related thread here on the Practical Machinist. It's quite old so some of the info has probably changed.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/whats-good-brand-air-pressure-regulator-138912/

Stuart

I'm holding the new regulator in my hand. They actually sent it UPS overnight. Part number 23192529. They only markings on it are NPT-B on the backside.

I'd be interested in hearing about other better options.

I can take a 5 minute drive and pickup a little regulator like that made by SMC and Wilkerson for $1, surplus brand new made in USA. Another place a few miles away is the Parker store. So there are three top names for you.

Typically..NPT would mean National Pipe Thread, and is only a designation as to the type of connection..sort of strange to put that on the regulator unless the manufacturer wasn't world wise..China! I sure would try it, it will probably work just fine for a long time.:)

This is a link to a related thread here on the Practical Machinist. It's quite old so some of the info has probably changed.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/whats-good-brand-air-pressure-regulator-138912/

Stuart

That is not strange in any way for Chinese junk.

Back