What's new
What's new

Air Machine ?

Anurag Saha

Plastic
This thread may sound a bit weird but please bear with me.
I am researching for a project but I have realized how much of a noob I am. I have very little idea about machines and have zero idea where to even start looking. I'm having a hard time articulating the ideas in my head, so I am just going to go ahead and ask questions like a five year old kid.

Is there a type of machine that sucks air and blows air (not at the very same time) but one after the other. *sucks air* and then proceeds to *blow air*.?

If there is such a machine in existence, how do I control the amount, pressure and the time required to blow/suck air?

Five years ago? In India there was a company that was going to make a make a small air powered car. it would have tanks of compressed air and an air motor. Never heard any more about it. Might have had some relation to Tata?
They used to make compressed air locomotives for use underground and in explosive plants. Looked like a standard steam locomotive but the boiler was just a air tank.
Bill D

Compressed air car - Wikipedia

Compressed Air 0-4-0 No. 1 – Age of Steam Roundhouse

I am researching for a project but I have realized how much of a noob I am. I have very little idea about machines and have zero idea where to even start looking. I'm having a hard time articulating the ideas in my head, so I am just going to go ahead and ask questions like a five year old kid.

Is there a type of machine that sucks air and blows air (not at the very same time) but one after the other. *sucks air* and then proceeds to *blow air*.?

If there is such a machine in existence, how do I control the amount, pressure and the time required to blow/suck air?

A piston in a compressor sucks air on one stroke and compresses it and “blows” air into a tank.

Your question seem so basic I’m not sure how to answer it.

Yes there is stuff that sucks and then blows but I’m not dropping anyone’s names..

All machines, compressors and/or bellows 'suck' in air and 'blow' it out, just at different rates. Research compressors and bellows.

From a very basic principle, a bellows does this. It's the original compressed air machine. A piston in a cylinder does the same thing. In order to blow, it first has to suck. Amount of air is controlled by the size and the length of stroke. Pressure can be controlled by the speed of the stroke or a regulator valve. The bellow was used in iron lung machines for their large volume and controllability. I'm assuming your thinking along the lines of a ventilator.

From a very basic principle, a bellows does this. It's the original compressed air machine. A piston in a cylinder does the same thing. In order to blow, it first has to suck. Amount of air is controlled by the size and the length of stroke. Pressure can be controlled by the speed of the stroke or a regulator valve. The bellow was used in iron lung machines for their large volume and controllability. I'm assuming your thinking along the lines of a ventilator.

Good thinking. If this is the case, then this website may be of interest to the first poster:

Web Server's Default Page

I got it from this article:

Website to open-source ventilator designs launched | Cities News,The Indian Express

Anurag, you have my sincere sympathies over the agony India is going through due to Covid.

Edit: That linked site doesn't seem to work, but there's these:

Home - Openbreath

Open-Source Ventilator Project >> The Center for Safety, Simulation and Advanced Learning Technologies >> UF Academic Health Center >> University of Florida

and this article:

Coronavirus: India'''s race to build a low-cost ventilator to save Covid-19 patients - BBC News

A search for open source ventilator will get more results.

This is a company that put together such a machine. An open source ventilator. They used a standard manual compression ventilation bag, simple control. Used one of their servos to operate a crank to move the air in and out. There is a bit more to it than that because they did have a way to change the volume. Possibly by controlling the servo to reverse and not just continuously rotate.

Looks like some ones Homework assignment.....

The first thing was apparently humans, surprised me too, there’s a thing I can’t quite get my head around called “circular breathing”, you need to do it to play a digeridoo.
Apart from that the bellows I don’t know of a suck blow thing apart from any engine or piston compressor.
Mark

When your nation is undergoing a literal existential health crisis, that's rarely the time a professor bases their homework on the subject.

Why are you not over there right now then ?

The OP posted Garbage, so they get a wide variety of guesses.

GIGO

Maybe you'd like to drop the "Racist Bomb" on me now too ?

Please don't hold back, you never doo.

Back