What's new
What's new

Air/Oil head raising system for bandsaw?

partsproduction

Titanium
Fishing for ideas here.

At 68 years old, and with a broken back, I find raising the head of my Kalamazoo H9AW band cut off saw painful, and the pain gets worse with repetitions. I made the mistake of ordering 3 1/4" diameter aluminum round bars full length, when they should have been cut to 1 1/16" blanks for the lathe chuck. Hundreds of them, big mistake.

Anyway, my vision is a 1 1/2" diameter hydraulic cylinder driven by a shop air over oil reservoir activated by a foot pedal, the only job being to raise the head.
My first thought was pure air, but I imagine the head bouncing up and down, gotta regulate that. The pedal would have up, stop, and release. Pushing the pedal allows the constantly pressurized oil to flow up to the bottom of the cylinder to raise the head, pedal to the center holds it there, and pedal back up all the way releases air pressure in the reservoir while simultaneously stopping the shop air intake. This system to be independent of the original oil down feed system.

Does this sound like a workable setup? It could even be automated to raise at the end of the cut if it would work as envisioned.
Thanks for any ideas,
parts

Fishing for ideas here.

At 68 years old, and with a broken back, I find raising the head of my Kalamazoo H9AW band cut off saw painful, and the pain gets worse with repetitions. I made the mistake of ordering 3 1/4" diameter aluminum round bars full length, when they should have been cut to 1 1/16" blanks for the lathe chuck. Hundreds of them, big mistake.

Anyway, my vision is a 1 1/2" diameter hydraulic cylinder driven by a shop air over oil reservoir activated by a foot pedal, the only job being to raise the head.
My first thought was pure air, but I imagine the head bouncing up and down, gotta regulate that. The pedal would have up, stop, and release. Pushing the pedal allows the constantly pressurized oil to flow up to the bottom of the cylinder to raise the head, pedal to the center holds it there, and pedal back up all the way releases air pressure in the reservoir while simultaneously stopping the shop air intake. This system to be independent of the original oil down feed system.

Does this sound like a workable setup? It could even be automated to raise at the end of the cut if it would work as envisioned.
Thanks for any ideas,
parts

i once tied with rope and weights to lighten load basically so as it lowered it picked up more weight in the back so cutting pressure more even. it also makes picking it up a lot easier
it was just rope and bars and angles and what ever around with hole to tie rope through. crude but it worked.
basically like old fashion window weights they had hole to tie sash cord to lighten a window so easier to raise and lower

Quirk and simple, a stirrup hanging from a rope, running from an overhead pulley and down to the head, takes the excess weight from the crushed vertebrae to the foot, ie, not adding pressure to the vertebrae.

The saw has a spring counterweight now, but of course cut pressure needs to remain. I like the saw a lot., a good servant.

I mean....Look at how DoAll does it, and then COPY it.

IIRC My neighbors, has a seperate air cylinder to raise it.

As it is a dead gravity load, there is no jerkiness.

Also, the hydraulic cylinder can be used for regulating the "Up" as well
as the "Down" as currently done.

with NO application of air into the hydraulic part of the system.

digger has it!

Just put a bimba air cylinder in a handy location. (Next to the present oil cylinder might be good.)

Plumb the air cylinder with a needle valve to control lift speed, a shut off valve on the air supply, for when the saw is all the way up, and a pressure dump valve on the air cylinder to return control to the down feed regulation oil cylinder.

I'm sure there are electro-magic valves for just this purpose. Pneumatic automation is a well developed field.

:willy_nilly:Digger:willy_nilly:
Dot reinvent the wheel. I'm sure a trip to Horrible Freight would net you 75% of yer parts for cheap. Personally I wouldn't but to each his own.

Back