What's new
What's new

Air Powered Lathe Chuck for Manual Lathe

SmokeWalker

Plastic
Hey, I've got a chucker, and a bunch of terribly inconsistent "square" raw material I need to work with, and I want a chuck that can be air actuated to OPEN, and you release the air to lock it shut that I can install into my manual lathe to speed up part changes. The existing setup is a 4 jaw scroll chuck, and it's just taking too long. Any (germane, not arrogant pain in the ass-don't tell me to buy a new machine) suggestions?

SW.

Years ago I adapted an air chuck to my Pratt & Whitney 14 x 30 lathe. I had a drawbar through the spindle and a rotating air cylinder on the outboard end. 2and 3 jaw air chucks were common on turret lathes and should be fairly easy to find.

Most of those chucks were a type A mount. Plan to fit a backplate if mounting to any other type of spindle.

Holding square stock

You can buy collet pads and bore soft chuck jaws to fit them. The pads come in all sizes of square or hex and round sizes. These pads fit a 3 jaw chuck. They are concentric and guick to load. I made a set for my CNC lathe . You donÂ’t have to air chuck as manually they work fine. If you know how to bore soft jaws the pads are less then 40 or 50 bucks.

Jim Sehr
What machine chucker do you have?
I have a 2 jaw chuck I would sell.
What size stock are you machining.
And I have square pads I will sell.

Every air/hydraulic chuck I have seen (not that there isn't any out there)
only moves the jaws a very small distance.

Digger
I used to have 4 Wadell automatic lathes and I often used Id collets on them . Sometimes my guys would forget to load a part on them . Then When they Closed the collet without a part mounted the Tapered pin that expanded the collet would pull back thru the collet and break them. So some of the air operated collets had a long stroke.
Jim

Digger
I used to have 4 Wadell automatic lathes and I often used Id collets on them . Sometimes my guys would forget to load a part on them . Then When they Closed the collet without a part mounted the Tapered pin that expanded the collet would pull back thru the collet and break them. So some of the air operated collets had a long stroke.
Jim
"Collets"..OP asked about "Chucks".....and I did preface it with "I have not seen everything out there".

What I have seen, and what I doo own, move maybe .060" at the jaws.

IME it's only high precision / high grip chucks that have such small jaw travel. They have a shallower wedge angle which translates to less jaw movement for a given amount of wedge/drawbar movement, but better repeatability and stronger grip. Typical standard chucks that you might find on a new cnc lathe will have something like 3-6mm (radial) of jaw travel depending on the size of the chuck.

Can you link me to one?

Actually, no. It seems like nobody makes them anymore. All the common chuck manufacturers do two jaw, and they all do self contained pneumatic, but none of them seem to do specifically two jaw self contained pneumatic. I don't know why. Alternatively you could get a standard two jaw wedge with a pneumatic drawtube actuator, most of them will be able to sell you that. An old two jaw pneumatic shouldn't be too hard to find used.

I think it's going to boil down to what the Op wants to spend on this endeavor.

Even so, he said square stock with variations.

A TWO-jaw, vee-grip, as has been suggested, is going to automagically center, variations across the flats no longer the determinant.

My one is a Hardinge manual, KEY (wrench..) operated. But I'm not in any sort of hurry, nor any sort of "production" environment at ALL.

Pull-tube/drawbar actuator is probably cheaper than front-mount, self-contained, if only because used ones are not hard to rebuild 'DIY".

Best to find the chuck FIRST, though.

OP seeks a power chuck to enhance adjustable grip.

He didn't actually SAY he could NOT use a manual 2-Jaw.

Yet.

"Best to find the chuck FIRST, though."

One would think you "the termite" would have at least a lathe running! But No, the termites machines are all broke down!
The famous HBX 360 he shoves down everyone's throat as "a superior machine" is a wreck with a puddle of oil under it.
Yer a troll its Why, Yuh Yuh Yuh,,,....

"Best to find the chuck FIRST, though."

One would think you "the termite" would have at least a lathe running! But No, the termites machines are all broke down!
The famous HBX 360 he shoves down everyone's throat as "a superior machine" is a wreck with a puddle of oil under it.
Yer a troll its Why, Yuh Yuh Yuh,,,....

Idiot. Bragging about your own dam' ignorance, yet again?

Floor is bone-dry.

HBX 360's don't have "puddles of oil". What they have is multi-litre RESERVOIRS.

Built-in TANKS for you who failed French.

Fair sized ones, Hydraulic for itself. Another for the tracer. Another for coolant.

Oh... by the way?

Bite my ass, wilyah!

Air powered chucks

"Collets"..OP asked about "Chucks".....and I did preface it with "I have not seen everything out there".

The machines I had used the same air stroke to operate the chuck or collets.

Did you never use a "Ward" " 2 or 3 with an air operated collet chuck Sami. One place I worked at had loads of them.

Regards Tyrone.

Yep, thousands of parts (and then some :D) also had a 2 jaw pull rod operated air chuck on a Ward 2 for drilling & tapping square weld nuts that were simply sawn from 40 or 50mm sq black bar, by the 4Xing thousand :eek: ...that job ran neat oil .......that used to drip off the hem of the apron and on to me boots YUCK

Back