What's new
What's new

Aircraft Flap Motor 40:1 Speed Reducer ID Help Requested

dgfoster

Diamond
I was recently given a "Flap Motor" 40:1 reduction gear assembly. I think I am going to use it with a variable speed motor to raise and lower the knee on my mill. It is 8.5 in length and 5.5 in high. The name plate says "Air Forces (sic) Spec 3587-Y"FlapMotor (2).jpg

It is really not necessary that I know what aircraft it might have been used in, but I thought it would be interesting to know. Anyone recognize it? What can you tell me about it. Any information is appreciated.

Denis

Added a few mins later: I think the Y-3587 actually does not specifically refer to this assembly but is rather a gear oil-type specification as I found reference to this type of oil in an old Allison Engine Handbook.

Attachments

• FlapMotor (4).jpg
    FlapMotor (4).jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 470
  • FlapMotor (1).jpg
    FlapMotor (1).jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 377
  • FlapMotor (3).jpg
    FlapMotor (3).jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 390
Unless you are just doing it for bragging rights, just make or buy one of these for your cordless drill and call it good:

Bridgeport and Import Milling Machine Power Knee Lift Tool Steel | eBay

i am sure your response is well-intended. Those drill adapters have been talked about numerous times here in the past.

However, there may be more than bragging rights to be gained from having a fixed setup that does not require picking up the drill motor and fumbling around. I will be using a DC motor with a pulse-width-modulator for both speed and direction control. In addition, my setup will allow for very convenient and instantaneous selection of hand feed vs motor feed for those times when you'd rather hand crank.

Back to the subject at hand. Does anyone know what aircraft this might have been used on?

Denis

Toss that idea.. You have no idea of loads/duty cycle it was designed for, and it looks fairly huge...

Aircraft equipment designed for a certain life, then overhauled or replaced.. weight was critical over long life.

I like to be able to get close to table, not be spaced 12 in out...

Just go to surplus center and get a unit that is standard/easily replaceable.. With input and output torque/rpm specs..

99% of large aircraft used 400hz motors.. This saved on the iron required for motor/weight.

A proper knee lift kit is also available...

Or just use a Cincinnati dial type vertical mill. Power feeds, rapids, all axis, standard..

Toss that idea..

99% of large aircraft used 400hz motors.. This saved on the iron required for motor/weight.

Thanks. You might be able to see from the pictures that the electrical motor that ran the gear reducer is long-gone. I will be using the gear reducer to improve the mechanical advantage of the motor of my choosing.

Denis

Are you mounting it sort of under the knee and running a belt or chain up to the drive socket?

I will never understand you home shop guys... Whatever though, go for it.

I doubt I could explain my plans in a way you could understand, John. Whatever...

Denis

Give it a shot.

Maybe if this rig your're making doesn't work out you could mount a big block v8 to the knee. Direct drive. Careful not to burn yourself on the exhaust headers.

Check out the attached picture bpv8.jpg

Rule number one. You are safe asking here HOW to do something but NEVER ever say WHY you are doing it....Bob

You are probably right. We are ten posts into this and the fact that no one seems to be able to actually answer the question has not prevented plenty of "answers." �� Most are well intended, but there is the usual rather unimaginative "cutesy" trolling as well.

Denis

Rule number one. You are safe asking here HOW to do something but NEVER ever say WHY you are doing it....Bob

Well if you aren't doing something retarded, you don't have to worry about Why. Mounting some huge ass contraption on a knee mill to use as power feed is retarded.

Well if you aren't doing something retarded, you don't have to worry about Why. Mounting some huge ass contraption on a knee mill to use as power feed is retarded.

troll.jpg

Although this might get slammed as being almost helpful, I'm jumping in. Often input shaft diameter is a good data point when comparing unknown equipment to some known, or discovered reference. So if you can find other similar aircraft device, start there. It may have driven an acme screw setup, so there would be another level of mechanical advantage prior to the actual control surface.

Weight of the device can be another data point, as you can be pretty sure they carved away all that was unnecessary.

Chip

What we are seeing here folks is a great example of why trolls are such a drag on forums. They get their jollies by showing how smart they are while at the same time ruining threads. In their minds the main goal is to have a stage to draw attention to THEMSELVES and then "perform." How many times have we seen this behavior in the past? Is it time for another banning, John?

Denis

PS. Just saw your post, Chip. Thank you.

What we are seeing here folks is a great example of why trolls are such a drag on forums. They get their jollies by showing how smart they are while at the same time ruining threads. In their minds the main goal is to have a stage to draw attention to THEMSELVES and then "perform." How many times have we seen this behavior in the past? Is it time for another banning, John?

Denis

PS. Just saw your post, Chip. Thank you.

"Are you mounting it sort of under the knee and running a belt or chain up to the drive socket?

I will never understand you home shop guys... Whatever though, go for it."

That was my first post. I wouldn't call that trolling. You responded with some bullcrap. You don't have the balls to tell us how you're planning to hook that reduction box up to the mill. No balls = you get ridiculed.

Rather than lobbying for me to banned, why don't you post this sort of shit on the home shop forum? I'm sure the dudes there would love to tell you how awesome your idea is. This forum is supposed to be for professional machinists, not home shop guys doing this sort of stuff .

I was recently given a "Flap Motor" 40:1 reduction gear assembly. I think I am going to use it with a variable speed motor to raise and lower the knee on my mill. It is 8.5 in length and 5.5 in high. The name plate says "Air Forces (sic) Spec 3587-Y"View attachment 155748

It is really not necessary that I know what aircraft it might have been used in, but I thought it would be interesting to know. Anyone recognize it? What can you tell me about it. Any information is appreciated.

Denis

Added a few mins later: I think the Y-3587 actually does not specifically refer to this assembly but is rather a gear oil-type specification as I found reference to this type of oil in an old Allison Engine Handbook.

Should work OK, if you do the PWM DC route. Agree re: oil spec, rather than anything to do with the part itself.

Could have been a flight control flap, or it could have operated an opening and closing type flap such as was used for controlling the engine temperature (cowl flaps) or across a radiator, or some other use. Fuggetaboutit. It's not that any more, and without a complete part number you are unlike to ever know.

Strip it and clean out the mung, and have a good look at the worm and wheel, before you pound any time into it, eh?

Cheers
Trev

Back