What's new
What's new

Albrecht Chuck

McGrew

Plastic
Hello guys, I found what I thought was a deal today at a local flea market. I bought a new in box, still wrapped in brown paper Albrecht 130 chuck. The guy asked $10, and I could not get my money out fast enough. The only issue is the taper is a J6. I am not familiar with this taper. Would I be correct in assuming this is a Jarno taper? All my other chucks use a Jacobs taper (JT), but this one is just stamped J6. I need to buy an R8 arbor, but so far have only found R8 to J6 arbors from Albrecht. Do I have any other options? Thanks! Oh, and this guy had two of these chucks, both NIB, but I only bought one since I was unsure about the taper. Do I need to go back and get the other one?

Get the other one and sell both to me for double your money. Or just buy the R8-J6 arbor.

My first floor model drill press had a Jacobs 33 taper with locking collar, so I was familiar with that taper and used to being able to easily remove the chuck to install other attachments like a drum sander and 1/4" collet chuck for router bits.

My first Albrecht was a 130 J33 on a Jacobs R8-J33 arbor because I knew that was a standard size for 1/2" chucks. It slipped and galled the taper, inside and out the first time I drilled a hole with it on my new vertical mill. Yes, rookie mistake, many years ago. I did my research and found the Jacobs 6 taper is the next larger than J33 and the Albrecht 130 chuck is made for either one. So I bought the J6 female taper part and installed it in my almost new chuck and bought a new R8-J6 arbor. And did a proper job of mounting the chuck to the arbor, so I never had another issue with slipping chucks of any brand or size.

Larry

Larry, Thank you for the response. This chuck is stamped J6, and I assume that is not a Jacobs taper? I can buy R8-JT6 arbors almost anywhere, but the R8-J6 seems a bit more obscure. Is the J6 a Jarno taper? Thanks! Danny

If you don't go back and get the other for $10 you need to give YOURSELF a huge dope slap. Another thing I've always done to seat chucks on an arbor is heat them up a bit. Hot but not enough to discolor and screw up temper. Gives just a little extra bite. Never had one slip when installed this way.

Thank you guys! I will definitely go back and get the other chuck. The only reason I did not buy both when I saw them was the fact that they were stamped J6 and not JT6. I was afraid I was buying something I would have a hard time finding an arbor for. I did not realize J6 and JT6 were the same. Guess I was trying to make things more difficult than necessary... Headed back to flea market now! Danny

I was able to pick up the second chuck. I’m a pretty happy camper. I usually don’t find these deals. R8 arbors should be here next week. Not aa bad dealfor $20!

Attachments

• 1BB61C3B-72C5-4C1C-8A15-A00DE8BC7968.jpg
    1BB61C3B-72C5-4C1C-8A15-A00DE8BC7968.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 200
Big B, it is possible considering they were found at a small flea market on the side of the road. I don’t even do flea markets, but this one had some interesting stuff outside that caught my attention. The owner seemed to be a legit businessman...

Back