What's new
What's new

Albrecht chuck replacement

gafred99

Plastic
My Albrecht chuck model C160-J6 is a bit worn in the jaws and before I buy the parts to rebuild it I am considering a Jacobs JK 160 precision chuck to replace it instead.
Are the Jacobs made in China?
How true do they run?
Am going backwards with a J?

I think Jacobs has been a name put on Chinese chucks for quite a few years now. I have only low expectations of their current product. That said, the most accurate chuck I have ever actually tested is a Golden Goose brand (China) improved copy of a Jacobs ball bearing geared chuck. So, I would want the option of free returns if buying a new Jacobs chuck, and I would test it before driving in that J6 arbor.

I have a bunch of Albrecht chucks and like them. But the prices for the new Albrecht chucks and repair parts have gone too high for me to pay. You could try eBay.

Larry

Hello, I purchased an ultra precision chuck from precisionmatthews. Run out as advertised nice quality made. Time will tell for long run.
thanks for the input.

Hello, I purchased an ultra precision chuck from precisionmatthews. Run out as advertised nice quality made. Time will tell for long run.
thanks for the input.

Piss-is-onyah, Matthew! is junk. Fortunately, they don't make chucks. Lathes, EITHER according to many.

They re-sell chucks. You may have gotten lucky, anyway.

There is a Chinese firm knocking-off Llambrich's line, and actually making very good copies. Most days, anyway.

Thank Japan and Germany for selling them the CNC machine-tools to make those.

Check out the Llambrich line of chucks too, quality on par with Albrecht, and less expensive. Doesn't have the name recognition that Albrecht has in the US, but available with a little searching.

Products : Llambrich

I certainly agree with Milland ... didn't know much about the brand till I was offered one from a friend. They really are worth a serious look and IMO just as good as Albrecht.

John :typing:

I certainly agree with Milland ... didn't know much about the brand till I was offered one from a friend. They really are worth a serious look and IMO just as good as Albrecht.

John :typing:

Their "Hybrid" chuck is one to love. Keyless mostly, use the key when that isn't good enough, and still not overly hungry for daylight.

Thank John Welden for pointing that one out to us a few years back.

Back