What's new
What's new

Algra Rapidue tool holders.

beckerkumm

Hot Rolled
My Smart and Brown 1024 came with an Algra type A tool post. I also found some holders at an auction. Both, to my surprise used 3/8 UNC square headed but regular screws. The ends of the screws were smushed up so I removed them all and cleaned them up with a grinder and die. I would have thought a dog point or some type of set screw with a cone type tip would have been used to avoid mucking up the screw. I want to replace all so the heads match and looking for advice as to the type of point that should be used or if a regular screw is really appropriate. Thanks, Dave

Those square head half dog screws were the ones I was looking at. I don't know if I'm overthinking it and regular screws are what are commonly used. Thanks, Dave

Dave,
For the price of those things I'd say the heck with 'em. All my holders have set screws in them. Most have dog point and a couple with half dog. The rest are plain ol' set screws.

I got an original Dickson holder and one with no markings but same dimensions. Both use BSW screws and the heads are recessed and rounded- I suppose to not mark the tools up. The Dickson and clone are deeper top to bottom than the Algra ones and the bottom shoulder of the top nut that engages the rotating lock varies between all the holders from .151, .171. and .182. All seem to lock OK but is there any problem with using the different thicknesses? The depth of the holder doesn't seem to matter as the deepest one ( Dickson ) match the post on the Algra. The Algra holders are shorter than the post. Dave

Back