What's new
What's new

All Machine Sales Lewis Machinery Zgoo Monarch Any issues in the past?

Fuchster

Plastic
First, this forum has been informative and helpful when needed. This not the first time I have purchased from a PM vendor. I often visit for help. I am a hobby machinist mostly car related stuff.
In the last few years a have been searching for a Monarch 10ee.

On 08/09/2019 I made a verbal and written (email) agreement with Dan Lewis at All Machinery Sales to purchase a Monarch 10ee lathe he had listed on Craigslist. That same day I deposited $500.00 as a down payment on his business account and requested a shipping quote.

I haven't heard from him since then? Perhaps is an oversight, he is sick or some emergency???
He has not answered my phone calls, emails or Private Messages through this forum.

At this point I am primarily interested in getting my money back.

Can anyone assist? Your experience? Thank you.

We have purchased a number of items from Dan (Low (700) hour Nissan 8k forklift, Lagun Milling machine, Enerpac 10ksi pump, and a few other odds and ends) and had no issues. We are somewhat local to him - I too tried to call him a few weeks ago related to a machine he was selling and was unable to get a response.

Did you search this forum before you sent the money?

There are countless complaints about Dan Lewis and he was banned from this site for awhile.

He changed the name of his business from Lewis Machinery to All Machine Sales because the new name is unsearchable.

He sells shit as great stuff and then plays dumb when it doesn't work. He is not dumb. He never does what he says he's going to do. Never includes manuals or send the missing parts. Just avoids your calls until you give up.

To give you an example, right now he has a 15HP Eaton silent screw compressor for sale on craigslist that looks beautiful. That compressor is junk. I bought it in auction lot with a tank I wanted. I sold the bad compressor for $100 and that guy sold it again for cheap to Dan. Dan put it up on craigslist for $4000.

His MO is to buy stuff that looks pretty regardless of whether it actually works. Put it for sale on craigslist for top dollar forever and sell it using whatever made up story gets a buyer on the hook.

Obviously there is some difference of opinion about Dan Lewis' enterprise. I have purchased tooling from him on a couple of occasions, and been perfectly satisfied.

...His MO is to buy stuff that looks pretty regardless of whether it actually works. Put it for sale on craigslist for top dollar forever and sell it using whatever made up story gets a buyer on the hook.
He's had a Bridgeport listed for about 2 years. $18K...:eek:

I tried to buy a lathe from him once, but he never returned my calls.

If those 10ee's are the ones I am thinking of, they came from an estate. One was rebuilt and one wasn't. If he paid what the seller was asking, he's into them for about $2500 for the pair. I think he was asking 10K for one of them on CL.

He's had a Bridgeport listed for about 2 years. $18K...:eek:

I tried to buy a lathe from him once, but he never returned my calls.

If those 10ee's are the ones I am thinking of, they came from an estate. One was rebuilt and one wasn't. If he paid what the seller was asking, he's into them for about $2500 for the pair. I think he was asking 10K for one of them on CL.

Oh, yes, I remember those 10EE's. It was some remote place wasn't it? The ad was in PDX, but the machines were in southern Oregon or something in a building with no power.

I think this is a pretty good past thread on Dan Lewis: Zgoo, Dan Lewis Machinery, Oregon

I know several of the people commenting on that thread and I've met countless others in person who have nothing good to say about the guy.

I think if you own a shop in this town and occasionally buy and sell you're going to run into Dan and you're certainly going to run into people he's fucked over.

Just a few days ago I met a guy who told me he sold Dan a machine and Dan didn't bring any straps so he lent him a bunch. He had to show up at his door and demand his straps back since Dan wouldn't answer his phone for months.

It does not make any sense to me. I highly recommend that he comes through.

Post #2 I wish I had a positive experience like you did. I would have posted positive feedback.

Post #3 I did not search the forum. I though about and that is the reason I only sent a $500.00 down payment. Subsequently, I did search the forum and found several postings related to Zgoo. I also found additional information on Dan James Lewis, Lewis Machinery, Zgoo, All Machine Sales and....... No plans to give up. I work hard for my money. I am pretty confident that he will come through. If not, he has assets.

Post #5 I am not sure if it is the same but he was operating as Lewis Machinery for a while. But if he is I will include it here.

Post #6 He is active on other sites...again I am waiting to post any additional info yet. But I never question the price. I though a Monarch 10ee with a taper attachment that look complete and maybe needed some restoration for $3495 was a fair deal. That was a blue one-the CL listing is no longer there.

Post#7 When I asked specifics about the lathe. i.e. back gear-he seem hesitant. In retrospect, that was another clue...but i was excited I found the lathe. Worst case scenario this post will benefit others. I will have a comprehensive report at the end.

Post #8 Before I sent down payment he was answering the phone. Now he does not answer my inquiries but he appears on-line active.

All I am asking is if someone here knows him to please reach out. His reputation is on the line. I am sure there will be an explicable reason.

But most important, thank you for your assistance. I am not much of an on-line person but this is often a site I visit for advice, ideas, projects, shopping. One way or another this will be informative.

Thank you.

Post#7 When I asked specifics about the lathe. i.e. back gear-he seem hesitant. In retrospect, that was another clue...
I'm not trying to take Dan's side here, but he probably hesitated because asking about back gearing on a Monarch 10EE is the kind of question that provokes a pause in conversation. Belt-driven South Bends of sufficiently old vintage have back gears. In most people's terms, the Monarch 10EE (or any other post-WW2 gearbox headstock lathe) does not possess back gears. So your question probably startled him and he took a moment to find a diplomatic response.

I'm not trying to take Dan's side here, but he probably hesitated because asking about back gearing on a Monarch 10EE is the kind of question that provokes a pause in conversation. Belt-driven South Bends of sufficiently old vintage have back gears. In most people's terms, the Monarch 10EE (or any other post-WW2 gearbox headstock lathe) does not possess back gears. So your question probably startled him and he took a moment to find a diplomatic response.

Wouldn't that be pretty easy to explain? I know I was taught that all lathes have a back gear in high school shop class.

By the time I learned that real lathes have gears in geometric progression for good reason I was also aware that a 10EE is best left to the hobby guys with deep pockets. A nice 10EE is worth more sold than making parts.

ALL MACHINE SALES LLC Details
Registry Number102368297
Business Name ALL MACHINE SALES LLC
Business Address 530 NE LIBERTY AVE, GRESHAM, OR, , 97030
Entity Type DOMESTIC LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY
Mailing Address 2660 SW 22ND CT, GRESHAM, OR, , 97080
Registered Agent DAN JAMES LEWIS

Threads about Lewis Machinery, All Machinery Sales (Dan Lewis)
Thread: Grinding attachment 03/25/2012 at 1228 hours
Zgoo, Dan Lewis Machinery, Oregon
Thread: Any one had trouble with dan at all machine sales 03/07/2018 at 10:16 hours
Any one had trouble with dan at all machine sales

Thread: Okuma manual lathe opinions, also parts availability 12/26/2017 at 0435 hours
Okuma manual lathe opinions, also parts availability

Thread: Any one had trouble with dan at all machine sales
Any one had trouble with dan at all machine sales
Can’t open link created 12/04/2013
Zgoo, Dan Lewis Machinery, Oregon | Factory Daily
https://www.factorydaily.com/topics/zgoo-dan-lewis-machinery-oregon
Dec 4, 2013 - Most I have met locally who purchased from Lewis Machinery have been disappointed with their stuff. Most of his stuff is worn out or broken low ...

That link doesn't do what you expected, Fuchster. All we get is a page with "Please use the links we emailed you to manage this posting." on it.

Post #16 Linked below.....but if it does not work search CL, Portland for "All Machine sales"

All Machine Sales - tools - by owner - sale

I have no knowledge of either side of the story here, but I hope you have your ducks in a row before you go this far. Easy to end up in court these days over a misunderstanding once you start taking out ads.
$500 I’d make a serious attempt to get it back, then I’d walk away, how much of a ass ache is it worth ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have no knowledge of either side of the story here, but I hope you have your ducks in a row before you go this far. Easy to end up in court these days over a misunderstanding once you start taking out ads.
$500 I’d make a serious attempt to get it back, then I’d walk away, how much of a ass ache is it worth ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

He didn't say anything bad about Dan. He simply posted a link to a discussion about Dan Lewis.

I used to have an agreement with some other guys,but we were sailing close to the wind......after that I simply sold my debts to a couple of bikies for 50%,if they collected.They specialized in collections,and never missed.

Back