What's new
What's new

All Quick Change Tool Posts the same?

wross1970

Plastic
Morning folks,

super noob question here, but are all quick change tool posts the same?

We have a quick change tool post made by Big Mack, I can find zero information on it, but are the wedge style tool posts all the exact same wedge measurements? Will an Aloris style AXA/BXA mount up to this old thing?

I'm trying to utilize some tool holders that we had previously purchased (eons ago with inserts and all) in our lathe, A Victor 1660, but currently we can only use the attachments that are Big Mack branded. They only hold 1/2" shank tool holders, the tool holders we are trying to use are 3/4" shank. As I'm the only person that's brave enough to attempt to use this lathe I've been tasked with getting it up to speed.

thanks for helping a noob.

Morning folks,

super noob question here, but are all quick change tool posts the same?
Nope.

We have a quick change tool post made by Big Mack, I can find zero information on it, but are the wedge style tool posts all the exact same wedge measurements?
Nope.

Will an Aloris style AXA/BXA mount up to this old thing?
Nope.

I'm trying to utilize some tool holders that we had previously purchased (eons ago with inserts and all) in our lathe, A Victor 1660, but currently we can only use the attachments that are Big Mack branded. They only hold 1/2" shank tool holders, the tool holders we are trying to use are 3/4" shank. As I'm the only person that's brave enough to attempt to use this lathe I've been tasked with getting it up to speed.
I think Big mack is KDK. It has only one set of dovetails and the handle is on the side? If so, they don't interchange with Aloris.

You might be able to open up the slot on your 1/2" holders to accept a 3/4" shank- I have a couple BXA holders so modified.

For a 16" lathe, the correct Aloris would be a CXA or CA.

Thanks for the response. sadly we don't have a full machine shop, just some basic tools and this giant lathe. I'm the only one that uses it and they didn't want to invest in new inserts when they had so much from these other tool holders. I will convince them to purchase some new inserts.

By the time they pay you to make the old crap they found in a bucket work, they could already be invoicing the customer for you doing the job with new tools that fit.

Back