What's new
What's new

Alliant rt2

djt93

Plastic
Hi,
I’m completely new to machining with a mill. But have the opportunity to purchase this mill but have no idea what it’s worth. It looks to be in working conditions with a lot of tooling.
An idea of what I should offer?
I’m not sure how to attach pictures?
I’m new to posting so go easy on me.

Ok I got the picture attached there is also a lathe thats available

IMG_0511.jpgIMG_0512.jpg

Last edited:
Alliant rt2 / Andry Chow lathe

Hi,
I have the opportunity to purchase these two machines and just wondering what a fair price would be ? Both machines are in operating condition with lots of tooling.

Thanks

IMG_0511.jpgIMG_0517.jpgIMG_0516.jpgIMG_0507.jpg

Those lathes are supposed to be nice machines, lots of cast iron, so rigid. Made in Poland, probably can get parts from Toolmex.
If it's not worn out, and has accessories like steady and follower rest( be hard to find if not included) , it would be easily worth $3k, maybe more if really nice. Offer $3500 for both machines and see what happens

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I currently have a Clausing 6391 it's been a good machine. The Clausing has a small footprint that Andry Chow has a pretty big footprint. From my research the Alliant is a cloned bridgeport? And it may be hard to get parts? I really appreciate all the input, I think $3500 seems like a fair price. $3500 for both machines and I'll try and get the Mantis Rototiller to sweetening the deal.

They both have DRO's, the lathe has a QCTP and a good selection of holders. I would say $3500 is a lowball offer. If I was the seller I would say thanks but no thanks.

The mill looks like a short table, which is a minus- but it's not full of holes, it's got a servo power feed on X and a varispeed head.

If the condition is as good as they look, $5500 for the pair would be a good deal.

Prices vary by location, that mill would sell around here for $3500-$4500 by itself.

I agree that it’s a low ball offer, probably get at least $3500 each, but the condition is an unknown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Alliant is a very decent machine . Taiwan meehanite casting, assembled in USA .
the polish lathe is no slouch , either.

of course.... if they're beat to shit... or the lathe is rotten , with an apron full of
smelly coolant.... and corroded gears ....

Alliant is a very decent machine . Taiwan meehanite casting, assembled in USA .
the polish lathe is no slouch , either.

Agreed. I used to operate one in college and it served us well. I only remember two things that I didn't like about it compared to the J-head and 2J we also had. 1) The micrometer collars on the leadscrew were kind of wonky, they didn't have the best engraving. 2) The feed handles spin on a shaft, unlike a b-port where they're fixed and it made it harder sneak up on a dim.

Both of those issues are pretty well handled with the addition of that DRO.

Everything else worked as it should.

I really appreciate all the responses. I haven't been able to make an offer yet as the family is dealing with the husband he has alzheimer's and that's why the machines are going to be for sale. The machines are both very well kept and there's lots of tooling and measuring equipment he even has a good size piece of granite. $3500 for both would really be nice for me but the more I looked around even $5500 for both would be a good deal there close to home and there's cabinets of tooling and a bunch of machining stock there also. I will keep everyone updated as to what happens. Thanks

I have an Alliant mill similar to that. Mine has the expensive kwik switch 200 spindle.
I think my cost was $2600 delivered from the Dallas area a few years ago.

Found a machine for 350.00 and picked it up. Dont laugh but it is a wells Index 847 body with an Alliant rt2 head. Not sure why they done that but the machine works and it is cheap enough for me to learn on. I know absolutely nothing about vertical mills so sorry for the dumb question. How do I figure out what the spindle is, R8....?

Thanks in advance!

They removed the nod/shake function so it is solid now but it looks square to the bed. Once I get it home, I'll check everything out.

Back