What's new
What's new

Aloris AXA piston QCTP disassembly?

lonestar308

Plastic
So I picked up this old Aloris AXA piston tool post off fleabay with 7 tool holders for what I thought was a steal. Appears I was only partly right...the tool post looks like it's seen better days. The handle hole threads are galled, and the PO substituted an allen head bolt :rolleyes5: Also, when I tighten down the top nut, the handle body will not turn....I'm guessing that there are parts touching that shouldn't be....

Anyway, I need to figure out how to disassemble this thing so I can clean it up and hopefully diagnose the issue with the handle body.

I've taken out the 2 set screws that are in the piston, but that really didn't do anything.

Any help is appreciated!

IMG_20190716_130640.jpgIMG_20190716_130646.jpgIMG_20190716_130655.jpgIMG_20190716_130709.jpgIMG_20190716_130723.jpg

I had a larger C size apart not that long ago
I think the screws in the center of the pistons do have to be removed
No hammer or press involved

Anytime I see s Aloris tool post that the tag on it all beat to heck, I run the other direction! I've only had a CXA size in the piston variety, never had it apart. Sorry I can't help there. I think now you can buy direct from Aloris, not 100% sure on that. Buy you a new handle, they should be the same for both tool post. As for repair parts, they may offer parts, I don't know. And I'm sure they can offer assistance in helping you taking it apart. Yeah, we all have learn from our mistakes. Ken

While it may be painful to think the knock-off piston toolposts might be similar internally to the Aloris, the following quote might be a clue worth testing:
“I think the P-II model is similar to the HF generic (India) QCTP. There are piston "plates" that are pushed out by cam followers. The plates are secured by socket head cap screws, and internal springs keep the followers in contact with the cam surface, which is why the cam can't just be lifted out of the post body.
As DoN and Wayne have suggested, the spring-loaded followers need to be held out, away from the cam surface, to allow the cam to be extracted.

I found that a couple of slightly longer screws can be used to hold the followers out, by removing the original screws and rotating the piston plates 90 degrees (bridging across the cavities) and inserting the slightly longer screws. As the screws are screwed in, they lift the followers away from the cam. With the followers drawn away from the cam, it can be easily lifted out ”

Denis

Set screw are just there to keep crap out of the threads.

screw longer bolt into hole and pull out on both pistons and the body will pull out...up to you to figure how you want to pull out on both Pistons at the same time...elangantly or not. :)

Set screw are just there to keep crap out of the threads.

screw longer bolt into hole and pull out on both pistons and the body will pull out...up to you to figure how you want to pull out on both Pistons at the same time...elangantly or not. :)
Thanks gents! Ain't pretty, but it worked...
de69930f488f480d144e09cbf58503ea.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

So I'm just guessing here, but I don't think the inner shaft is supposed to have a chewed up groove like that....
b4d3a1a52829d02613206624162d5b7c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Back