What's new
What's new

Aloris BXA on 5 HP lathe

marrt

Aluminum
I recently bought a 14"x40" 5 HP lathe and need to install a proper tool post. I already have an Aloris BXA and was thinking about installing this tool post. My concern is the 5 HP on the new lathe. Would I be better off moving up to a CXA post? Technically, ether will fit. However, I suspect the CXA would be a better choice due to the higher HP on the new lathe. Of course, I'd have to buy all new tool holders, etc.... Get's expensive quick. Any advise?

I'd be inclined to install the BXA I already had lying around; especially if I had a bunch of toolholders.

Chances are something else will deflect (the part, insert holder, gibs, carriage . . .) before you'd notice much difference in deflection between a CXA and BXA.

Exception might be if this is an especially stout lathe and you really expect to be taking 5hp cuts most of the time.

In my opinion a CXA toolpost would be much too large for the average 14" lathe. If you had a Pacemaker or an Axelson then yea a CXA might be justified but I would stick with your BXA for just about anything else.

Actually mounting a toolpost is no big thing, so mount the BXA and see how it goes. If it's too short (you can't find holders that will get small tools up to centerline) then go looking for a BXA.

I run a dorian BXA with a mix of Dorian and Aloris toolholders on my southbend 14x40 - no problems.

I put an aloris BXA holder on my 15" LeBlond servo shift. Added a spacer block so it would use the exact same tools and height as the 20+ holders all set up for my 10EE. Works a treat.

Now this is an Aloris holder. One of those cheap china piston holders would yield a different result.

You can also get "oversize" holders for the BXA setup that will then hold 3/4" tooling.

I went the same way Aloris has a chart hp and swing = size you need also single phase and 3 phase make a big difference.

Thanks everyone. I'll call up Aloris and get a t-nut blank and throw the BXA on for now. Sounds like it should probably work fine. Plus, I can share tooling with my other lathe. Thanks again.

Thanks everyone. I'll call up Aloris and get a t-nut blank and throw the BXA on for now. Sounds like it should probably work fine. Plus, I can share tooling with my other lathe. Thanks again.

You are a machinist. Grab a piece of scrap and make the T nut during your lunch break.

Back