What's new
What's new

Aloris BXA or CXA QCTP?

beeser

Cast Iron
The Aloris catalog recommends a CXA QCTP for my Victor 1440G (Acer 1440G) but the width of the post body is about a 1/4" larger than the width of my compound. The BXA is 1/4" in the other direction. My sense is that any overlap is not doing any good in supporting the post so why not just get the BXA. Also, the height of the BXA seems about right. Or am I missing something?

I use a BXA on my 13" Sheldon. Its a perfect fit. There are times when I need to slide the tool post to one edge or the other of the compound so I wouldn't worry too much about matching the width.

I've not noticed any of my tool holders getting anywhere near topping out, so I'd assume the BXA would be big enough for your 14" lathe, but there are wiser guys than I!

I have a BXA on my 13" Clausing 1300 and a CXA on my 15" Colchester.

I like the CXA better, it's just bigger and more rigid.

I've got a CXA on my 1500 Clausing. Unless you're doing a lot of really small work, that's what I'd run. It all depends on what you plan on machining. If it's all small stuff, the BXA takes up less room and costs less. I'm always getting that part that I can just barely fit in the lathe.
JR

Page 2 of the Aloris catalog gives the dimensions for the tool posts.

http://www.aloris.com/wp-content/uploads/aloris_catalog.pdf

It appears either a BXA or a CXA will work on a 14" lathe. BXA is listed for use on 10" to 15" machines while the CXA is listed for 13" to 18" machines. As for tool size there are several manufacturers that make tool holders that will accommodate larger than the standard tooling. I have a couple tool holders for my BXA tool post on a Sheldon MW-56-P that permit the use of 5/8" tooling.

...I have a couple tool holders for my BXA tool post on a Sheldon MW-56-P that permit the use of 5/8" tooling.
Standard for BXA is 5/8" shank. The BXA-1S (oversize) is 3/4".

The CXA is standard 3/4" and oversize is 1".

I use 3/4" tooling on both my lathes, I just opened up the slot on the BXA 5/8" holders...

I've just got a 7-1/2 hp Victor 16x40 lathe and I need an Aloris toolpost.
The measurement from top of compound to center is 1-1/2".
From what I can tell of the Aloris details, CXA has measurement "A" on CXA-1 (top of slot to base) of 1-7/16". (slot accepts 3/4" square tools).
So if I have a tool with cutting edge in line with the top of the tool, I have only 1/16" clearance top of compound to base of toolholder.
Does this seem OK ?
I called Aloris and the nice lady said for a 1-1/2" center height I need to use BXA. But that only accepts 5/8" tools, and that seems light for this lathe.
Thanks
Bob
ps, I guess I could skim a little off the underside of the toolholder.

I have a Webb/Whacheon ,WL-435 lathe 17”x40” lathe and I have an Aloris CXA tool post installed. I had to put a spacer under the tool post to get it to the height I needed. In my opinion, a BXA tool post on your lathe would be too small. CXA is the way I would go.

Cheers.

For what it's worth, I have a Victor 20-60 lathe and the CXA works fine. However, I mostly use the lathe for smaller parts, (although I sized it to be a backup for my big lathe) so I made a 1/2" thick spacer for under my Aloris BXA and mounted the 8" 6 jaw chuck (all from the previous lathe) and have the best of both types available. 😎

Back