What's new
What's new

Aloris CA-25 Tool Holder

jlkunka

Aluminum
Looking for information on this tool holder. Double triangular inserts, micro adjusters, etc. Looks like it was never used. Picked it up cheap on ebay and can't find anything published on it. Anyone know it's intended use?

Attachments

• 20190930_155058.jpg
    20190930_155058.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 247
I would think it’s for facing both sides of a small flange.

I suppose you could use it for that, but the two tools are not the same, one on the right is a smaller shank, ( 5/16 on my BXA-25) so it couldn't reach out very far. how often do you see a 3/4 X 7" thick flange?

its for steps, two diameters in one op

If it's for steps one of the tool holders is wrong.For steps , facing or turning , they should be the same hand. For facing opposite sides the tools would be opposite hand as shown.

If it's for steps one of the tool holders is wrong.For steps , facing or turning , they should be the same hand. For facing opposite sides the tools would be opposite hand as shown.

the XXX-25, like other tool holders, doesn't come with cutting tools.

Of course you can use it to face off both sides of a shallow collar in one op as well, but what's in this particular example is basically irrelevant. :confused:

can't see plunge cutting the collar out of solid bar with these inserts either, and you would still have to turn the smaller dia. with other tooling, so that only makes sense on a casting as stated in the referenced thread.

you CAN however, cut two shoulders from bar quite handily, so that is what i think its intended application is.

The tool is shown in the ALORIS #87 catalog. According to the catalog cartridges are available for carbide inserts & square (HSS) type inserts. The #87 catalog has a 1977 copyright date.

Does anyone have any links to older ALORIS catalogs?

More pics of the mystery tool holder

The tool is shown in the ALORIS #87 catalog. According to the catalog cartridges are available for carbide inserts & square (HSS) type inserts. The #87 catalog has a 1977 copyright date.

Does anyone have any links to older ALORIS catalogs?

If you have catalog #87, can you post a pic of the pertinent page? I attached a couple better pics of the business end:

20191001_071519.jpg 20191001_071506.jpg 20191001_071442.jpg 20191001_071455.jpg

There is a vernier on the large scale (distance between the inserts) and a fine adjustment on the projection of the movable insert holder.

Brake rotors are turned machining both faces at once.
Something about being uniform thickness is more important
than run-out for not having pulsations in the brake pedal.
Maybe it is intended for rotor turning.

--Doozer

Brake rotors are turned machining both faces at once.
Something about being uniform thickness is more important
than run-out for not having pulsations in the brake pedal.
Maybe it is intended for rotor turning.

--Doozer
look at the depth of cut on the movable block. 3/4" or so. look at the scale, goes to 7",
7" thick by 3/4 wide face brake rotor..?

Everyone is so fixated on the LH-RH discrepancy, but am I the only one who noticed that the front toolholder is removable, so you can put whatever you want there?

If you got 3/4" brakes to do, go for it! If you need two shoulders 7" apart, throw a right-handed holder up front and get after it.

The Official Explanation:

Here are some catalog page pics:

Catalog Page.jpg 20191004_120018.jpg

So it's for making two shoulders at once, an exact distance apart, and an exact diameter difference (within 1-1/4" D.O.C. limit). Shoulder distance limits for the CA-25 (from another page) are 1" - 6"

Its intent and its actual use may not be the same.It is a gang tool holder using two tools.Gang tool holders probably were invented right after the lathe.

The user can use it to combine any two operations to speed up the process.
Cutting a pair of snap ring grooves(on 2 different or same dia's).Facing and cutting off to get same length tubes simultaneously(I have done so with a home made similar tool).Chamfering the id & od of a tube,short bore and od at the same time,doing an internal sr groove and clean an od consecutively.Facing 2 outside faces(as apparently the last user did or reversing the tools and facing the insides,like a bar bell shaped work piece.

Older Turret lathe tooling is full of all kinds of gang tool holders to combine ops.

So if you have one let your imagination be your guide,there's no "rule" that says you can only use it as intended!

Back