What's new
What's new

altering a drill bushing

wobblers

Plastic
I want to increase the ID of a 23/64" drill bushing by 0.010". The hardness is RC 62-64. What are possible issues with machining a hardened steel?

I want to increase the ID of a 23/64" drill bushing by 0.010". The hardness is RC 62-64. What are possible issues with machining a hardened steel?

Demonstrating lack of judgement is probably the worst.

Not only cheap. Easier to make from scratch than they are to modify when there is no time left in the day.

They are expendable/consumable goods, not especially complicated. Needs may be covered short-term with unhardened substitutes whilst a supply of proper ones are in the mail. Or in your own muffle-furnace.

The OP was asking what possible issues he may have Machining a Hardened Bushing. I couldn't think of any, other than the Monkeys.

R

The OP was asking what possible issues he may have Machining a Hardened Bushing. I couldn't think of any, other than the Monkeys.

R

Drill bushings are not always among the thinnest of the bushing clan, but still. Hardened?
Grinding - if yah got it - you have no major issue with the workholding.

Machining might be less fun. Pigs, with great brown wings, rather than Monkeys less fun.

:)

Buy a bushing in the size you want, for delivery tomorrow. Do something useful in the meantime, like make money...

Nah. US Treasury Po Lice take a dim view of THAT!

Use it as an excuse to BLOW money!

Carbides....Muffle furnace... Sunnen hone... CBN tooling ... VMC with 20K RPM spindle.. CMM rig to measure "stuff"... cages for monkeys, separate cages for pigs...

..meanwhile JF "go commando" and drill the damned hole to a prick-punch, then centre punch mark, don' NEED no steenkin' dreel booshing, Gringo!

But DAMN! Lookit all the new shop equipment those expert guys on PM confirmed I really needed to have!

Now . .if I can just recover that bent fender warsher that slipped under the bench.... I oughta be able to get a recommendation for a 50-ton hydraulic press to sort THAT critter's hash!

:)

Buy a bushing in the size you want, for delivery tomorrow. Do something useful in the meantime, like make money...

Yes. IIRC last drill fixture I designed (been a few years) you put the catalog
number on the drawing, along with the bore needed.
Jergens is the supplier I used.

Back